Needles - what size?

I'm new to my Lenni, working on quilt #9. Mostly small ones so far, and since I'm about to change the needle again, I realize I probably need to buy some. I still have about half the package that came with the machine, but...

So, should I buy more 110/18s? Mostly I am using FilTec Glide poly thread, and it seems like a mighty big need for such a tiny thread. But, of course, I know I am on a completely different scale than I was with my domestic machine.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks, Robin

Hi Robin,

A 4.0 needle(110/18) is a good universal size needle. We time the machine to that size to allow users the most versatility for thread use without risking breaking needles (which can happen with smaller needles, combined with quick movements or heavy thread or batting. It also reduces needle flex which can cause directional tensional issues (changes in tension when you move to the left or away from yourself when standing on the needle side of the machine. You could go down to a 3.5 needle for a smaller needle hole...just be aware of the drawbacks and compensate for them by adjusting your movement speed or even your stitch length (shorter stitches).

You can order the needles directly from APQS in either size. ;)

Archived