NQR - New Year's Day Lunch

We have the kids and grands. This year we will have some of the kids' best friends and I have asked a neighbor who has no family here. Hope they all show. We have:

Ham, baked with pineapple and brown sugar (Meat this day is for meat during the year)

Cabbage, stewed (for green in your wallet)

Black-Eye Peas with hog jowls (for luck)

Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc. (also for green in your wallet and for a colorful year)

Broccoli casserole (rice for abundance, green for - well, you know!)

Corn bread (well, we are from the south!)

tea

Egg Custard and Carrot Cake (this changes from year to year)

This meal is all for good luck in the new year as well as for money and health! What do you do

We are having Christmas with our Daugher, SIL, and Grandchildren as they spent Christmas in FL with the other side of the family. We will have a dinner of Ham with Marsala sauce, baked pineapple casserole, VA caviar (black eyed peas salad), twice baked potatoes, green beans, rolls, and a cheesecake and a choc rasp trifle. Then open presents...It will be a busy but fun day!

Sounds funny to hear of people having special meals with a colour significance for the New Year. In Australia we don't celebrate anything like you do. The closest meal I would have eaten was Ardelles.

Black Eyed peas???????? Saurkraut. Green bean, Broccoli casserole might be what we call "au gratin" if that is vegies in a white sauce with a cheese topping.

Me I had a home made hamburger for tea with a slice of cheese, tomato, cucumber, shredded lettuce and mayonnaise, grated carrot and BBQ sauce.

It is summer here so my husband cooked it on the BBQ outside, while I cooked a large pot of Spaghetti Bolognaise sauce to freeze for later use inside.

We just finished evening dinner with our Grandkids and Eldest Son, made by my DH coz I was at work till 6pm....

He made ....

Leg of Lamb with mint sauce

Mashed potatoes

Roast potatoes

Roast parsnips

Glazed carrots

Brussels sprouts

Yorkshire pudding and gravy....

Think I'll keep him!

I made my version of Nickerbocker Glory.... crushed meringue, black cherry sauce, gooseberries, chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream, double cream and sugar strands.....

Our theory....if you eat well on the first then you'll eat well all year.....

Just one problem with working today.... doesn't mean I'll be doing it all year coz tomorrow will be my last day....taking early retirement to stay home on the farm, doing the office work and quilting full time.....can't wait.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.....

Broccoli Casserole Recipe

Broccoli cooked in water and salt until tender

1 whole onion chopped and fried until light brown

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 1/2 cup of cooked rice

1 jar Cheese Whiz

1/2 cup crushed crackers

Stir together crackers, rice and soup. Layer in a dish ending with the cheese. Warm in oven until cheese melts. Yum!

Does pork and saurkraut have a particular meaning on New Years Day? Mike said it sounded good but we are not starting something new after all my life.

My mother is German and that is what we always had to bring us luck in the New Year. Last year we were traveling on New Year's and we didn't have our normal. Let's just say it was by far NOT our best year. I sure didn't want a repeat so we had pork and saurkraut. It was yummy too.

We're having our family Christmas/New Years get together this weekend. Normally we have baked ham with pineapple and all the goodies, but this year the kids and families asked for cheesy potato soup, chili, fruit,a veggie and cheese platter and banana bread. It's awfully ironic they want a soup meal as they all have bowl cozies under the tree :rolleyes: Then we get to snuggle with the grandkids and love up the newest - 3 week old grandson Grayson! :wub: :wub: and open presents!

My mother is German and that is what we always had to bring us luck in the New Year. Last year we were traveling on New Year's and we didn't have our normal. Let's just say it was by far NOT our best year. I sure didn't want a repeat so we had pork and saurkraut. It was yummy too.

Heidi, That's what my grandparents/parents always said too. I made it even though it was just me. Can't fool with the "luck". Mine was yummy too :)

Archived