One year ago Nov. 30th I had gastric bypass. It has been a tough row-to-hoe as they say. I went from a size 14 (I am only 5'2") to a size 3 (a 1 would be better). I am one of the one-in-a-thousand who gets sick most every time she eats. I have to go to bed most times after I eat to get over the nausea. I take the meds they give chemo patients to stop the nausea. Now, I am sharing, not complaining!!! I am so glad I did it and hate that I get sick but who knew? I now weigh a whopping 115. It looks like I am not yet done loosing!

So....if there is something in your life that needs changing; go for it. It may be hard and it may not turn out exactly like you hope but you won't know until you try - so try hard!!!

Sylvia, that is a lot of weight to lose, and a difficult choice to have made. Were there medical reasons for your choice?? Take care of yourself, and I have some plans for a "change" myself for the not too distant future, although what I plan seems minor in comparison!

Sounds like you did what was right for you

And we all should do that!

I wish you continued improvement with the side effects

The human body is amazing.

Lets hope yours adapts and the nausea goes completely away.

Happy New Year Sylvia

Sylvia,

I'm so sorry you've had the bad side effects! I've known several people who have had the surgery, but they all did very well, little or no bad reactions. Only one person I know has regained any of their weight loss. This person had problems with portion control, but she did eventually level out at a healthy weight.

I hope your doctors find a solution for your nausea.

I did not exercise as I should have. My weight just fell off so I didn't feel I had to be on a strict plan.

My blood work looks good each time so I I should not have any side effects added to my list for the future. In fact, I think my nurtients are the best the have been in my adult years.

Judith, I never have anything with much fat or cream and any milk product has to be cooked. I will try the Ginger Ale. I do not have gurd. Infact, I used to have it and the weight loss cured it. I no longer have to worry about type-two diabeties that runs in my family either. My sugars test way way down as does my blood pressure. I hardly have any blood pressure - ha!

Sylvia, good for you! My New Years resolution is to lose weight that has been creeping up on me. I know that it will be difficult at times...I just like food too much...but this is something I really need to do for myself in order to feel better. So, thanks for sharing and for offering encouragement! Im sorry to hear that you have to suffer with nausea. Definitely try the ginger ale. I have read that ginger is very good for nausea.

Congradulations Sylvia! I still struggle with the last 10 lbs I put on and know my joints would feel so much better if I lost it. I continue to work on it!

If you find that Ginger Ale works you might be interested in trying real ginger tea. You can probably find ginger tea in the grocery store, or you can get the ginger root and make tea from that. Ginger is usually very good for neusea. A few other herbs that are good for nausea are Chamomile, Meadowsweet and peppermint. There are others too, but are a good start to try out.

Good luck, and may you and everyone have a healthy, creative new year! :)

Sylvia, thanks for sharing your recent journey, and congrats on gaining your health back! It is wonderful that you have improved your health as much as you have! Years ago I lost 90# and stayed within a 5# range of my goal weight for almost 30 years, even through menopause. Last year I lost my job, and I tell you I have struggled to keep my weight in check. I've gained 15#, and my new year's goal is to get on my treadmill every morning to try to get that off or at least some of it. Send some good juju my way!!!

Good for you Sylvia........hope the bad side effects lessen as time passes and your body adjusts. Those extra pounds can really wreak havoc on our bodies with blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis.............that is my goal for 2013.............get these extra pounds off and get MY numbers down to where they should be. I am Type II Diabetic, as was my Dad, Grandma, Uncle and 2 cousins ! Mine is under control and I want to keep it that way. Getting OFF all meds sure would be nice though. Good luck to you.

Archived