Whatever You Do on New Year's Day...

You'll do all year. So the old saying goes.

Our kids and granddaughter spent the night last night. After a lovely breakfast of pumpkin muffins, scrambled eggs and bacon everyone went home. I headed to the Quilt Cave and got busy! I put the binding on a quilt and I'm hand stitching it tonight. Then I prepped the next block in a hand appliqué project. Next, I put together the center of a cute quilt for my granddaughter.

I think I have my bases covered! I got to spend time with my family and I got lots of good quilt time in.

How about you? What did you do today?

post-1093-0-25438000-1357093616_thumb.jpg

DW has a policy of only making quilts from start to finish. She does not take in quilt tops for quilting. Well she made a quilt for a lady that was giving as a gift for her daughter. She delivered the finished quilt to customer and she loved it. Customer asked DW to look at this finished quilt she picked up at a thrift shop and would she add another back and quilt with a panto. DW felt sorry for this lady, Christmas and all, and said ok. I didn't think about it because of the holidays and DW asked me to help her today with the quilt. OMG this quilt was pieces of upholstery fabric sewn together, piecing was awful, it was wonky, i mean WONKY. Well it got done, I put a 5.0 needle in the Liberty to help with thick the fabric and seams. I reminded DW why we don't take in quilts to quilt and she agreed. I hope the customer is happy.

Well, I hope that is not true for the whole day!

I spent most of the day quilting!( fantastic!!)

I finished a quilt top, a year long BOM from a local quilt teacher, with fabric and pattern purchased. ( Yay, a finished quilt top!)

I made so many cutting mistakes that I began wondering if I was losing my mind!! (I kept forgetting the rule, "measure twice, cut once"!)

I had to make do with limited fabric leftovers to correct. (I will make sure my quilting covers this!)

DH and I had a great dinner tonight, so I guess alls well that ends well.

The entire morning is spent in the kitchen to make lunch. We start the new year eating in the dining room (instead of the breakfast room) to get things started in the right direction. We always have company on this day - usually neighbors and such. The afternoon is spent watching bowl games on TV with company. I usually hand stitch or crochet while we watch. I never quilt on new years day (hmmmm, perhaps that is a situation I need to correct!!!!) We love New Years Day at my house.

New Years Day.

Looked and looked for the embroidery CD for the Viking. Not Successful.

Did some quilting using the QZ. Sewed some. Tried to figure out how to

get the embroidery unit on and stitch patterns in the machine.

Relaxed a bit.

put odds and ends away.

Avoided the 3 ball games he insisted on watching.

RitaR

I went to a local quilt shop for her New Year's Day sale and left a few $$ there.............then I pieced a Mystery Quilt on and off most of the day. I had the TV on and sort of watched some ballgames as I pieced. I can't just sit and watch TV..........I have to have something in my hands or be at the sewing/quilting machine doing something. If I just sit, then the first thing I know I have food in my hands and that's NOT good. ;)

I spent the morning on my long arm and then cooked and did applique during the early afternoon. Then over to the grandkids for christmas! Not a bad thing to do all year :) HOWEVER....my DH is sick with a bad cold so I hope that is not what he will be dealing with all year...:(

Our day started with a trip to the coffee shop with DH and our boxer dog, Sid. No coffee for Sid, he's wired already!

Then I started making bread, which is an all-day project but leaves plenty of room to quilt as the bread raises.

Worked on a beautiful customer quilt, it's Christmasy but she knew it would not be done by Christmas.

Then, after many years of waiting, DH hung one of my quilts in our very tall stairway. He doesn't mind ladders, but I don't like him being on them. You'd think I would have figured this out year ago: the way to getting a project done is to make it involve a trip to the hardware store (which it usually does anyway) but it also needs to involve buying a new tool or, in this case, ladder. Happy guy - he has a new ladder! Happy wife - her quilt is hung in the stairway!

That was my very good New Years Day! And 2013 will be even better because after 31 years of working full time at the same place I get to go part time in April. Time to focus on quilting more!!

My goal this year is to go through every, I MEAN EVERY, box, jar, bag, nook and cranny in my sewing rooms and organize and clear out! I spent about 3 hours clearing out some shelving. Oh man, I hope this plan works. I seem to be making more of a mess than organizing. I'm hoping this is going to be like the show "Clean House" where they make a huge mess then by magic every thing is organized and beautiful by the end of the show. (One hour no less!) I am beginning to have obsessive organizational thoughts. Do I need an intervention?

I am loving everyone's responses!

Chris, yes, organizing requires making a mess first!

Pat C, congrats on the quilt hanging and going part-time.

Cheri, sometimes lazy is a very good thing.

I wish everyone a very happy, productive New Year, no matter what you are doing!

Archived