canvas quilt back

I received a quilt top today that is made 100% of flannel - and the quilt back is a canvas type material. Not sure if anyone has experience with this interesting combination before. thankfully, it belongs to my sister so I already gave her a loving "what were you thinking" kind of look and told her let me investigate further before I commit to a canvas back.

what do you all think - should I give it a go or get a new back? I'm worried about the weight of the quilt once it is all done and also that the weave from the flannel is so different than the canvas.

You'll be able to quilt it, but what will it look like when you finish? :wacko:

What an interesting combo of textures and weights of fabric! Is the canvas home-dec fabric? And why did she choose it?

Sometimes a fabric will call to you, but that doesn't mean it'll make a pretty/useful quilt. Who wants to snuggle with canvas?!!

Maybe you can find a new backer with a similar color and design. That would be a kind substitution.

Christine, I've had that same combo in a customer quilt - flannel (and cotton) on top, with a combination of flannel and canvas on the back. The canvas was garment-weight camo canvas - yours may be stiffer. It all quilted just fine but it was definitely a HEAVY quilt! No idea how it held up, but I haven't had any negative feedback from the customer. Good luck!

so I called my sister and asked if she really wanted to use canvas/flannel combo I would make it work. She asked if i'd use it on my own quilt and I stole Linda's comment "who wants to snuggle with canvas". we both laughed. this is my older sister, and slowly I am teaching her how to quilt. it has been a loooong journey, made harder by the fact for the past 6 years we live 1600 miles from one another. I'm in the south, she's in the north. her quilts are my favorite to work on. they wont win any awards, nothing ever matches or lines up and sometimes they wave more than the american flag during a wind storm, but what she lacks in technique, she makes up for with spirit and enthusiasm in abundant supply

needless to say, a different back is now on order and will be here soon. thanks for giving me the gracious words to help her see an alternative!

Archived