Smooth fluid motion???

Alright; I’m not sure exactly how to title this one or even where to post it. I got my Freedom all set up and took it for a spin today to try and get the feel for it. Previously I was using my sewing machine on a Grace frame, so I really don't know what to expect from the Freedom. I watched a video where Marilyn Badger was using a Hartley product and she was guiding the machine with one hand.....actually it looked like she was driving it with her finger and thumb. When I run mine it seems to track forward/aft and left/right. I practiced with a simple panto and noticed it really challenging when it came to curves (does this make any sense?); they were more square than curvy. Advice????

Thanks,

James

practice practice practice ... the 3 P's. Don't let a day go by that you don't do a little something with your new friendly Freedom. These machines are tremendous and they WANT to work, so every day dance a little bit with your machine. And soon, very very soon, those square circles will before nice and round. Promise!!! Nobody got to where they are today without a lot of work and practice. You can do it!

The hardware on your machine canmake a difference, as Meg said. I went from original wheels to M&M wheels and the difference was amazing.

I also think you are reacting to the weight of the machine, which is probably quite different (more) from your domestic machine on the grace frame. You WILL get used to it with PPP!

James,

Do you have an instruction manual? It would probably be a good idea to read the section on wheel adjustment. It they are not quite right that can make a difference. Check to see that you don't have any thread stuck in the wheels. It is probably that things just need a little tweaking. Also check that your table is completely level.

Square circles are fairly normal to begin with!

Good luck.

Welcome!

It looks like you have the composite wheels. M&Ms or Edgeriders are better wheels and both will give you a smoother ride.

It seems like "blahblahblah" when we all say you must practice. But that really is the key. You must work with your specific machine to train your muscles and eyes to make the machine go where you want it to.

On a practice piece, use anything round to trace around with a marker. Make as many different size circles as you can and string them touching each other. With the machine not threaded but running, stitch on the circles--around and around. On to the next. In and out and back and forth. Punch so many holes on the lines that it looks like lace when you're finished. After you have traced/stitched around those circles a couple of hundred times you will be better at it. You brain is learning the tiny tweeks and pushes that are needed to overcome the x/y axis (the wheel set up makes your machine like to go north/south and east/west and you need to do tiny movements to overcome the resistance that's built into the system.)

Dawn can help you with the drag you're experiencing from left to right. Email her for some help.

It shouldn't be dragging more in one direction than another.

Maybe needs adjusting.

How old is your machine?

I know the older style wheels eventually wear out.

Is there any grease leaking out of them?

I wish I was able to help you more.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Well it looks like they were chiming when I was typing!!

You can contact APQS and give them your serial number (imprinted in the metal under the head near the needle bar - you have to get way down by the needle bar and look up under there) and they can tell you how old it is. Does your machine have the coil power cord or a straight one? Sometimes the cord gets in the way when moving the head back and forth and causes drag. Also, your older wheels can be the problem, one may be worn. Or, like you mentioned, may need adjusting. I had a terrible time getting my wheels like that adjusted and had the same issues you are having. I eventually just quit fighting it and put the new M&M wheels on - and it made a huge difference. I still p,p,p...... and my curves are getting much better. Good luck with your new (to you) machine - honestly, when you get used to how it moves and you both jive, you will love your time spent on it!

You shouldn't be fighting your machine and it should move fairly easily. My guess is your wheels are not adjusted right. Do you have a 12 ft or 14 ft table? If you have a support under the table you probably have that too high. Wheel adjustments are the key factor. Since you've used a machine on a table you should have a good idea of the feel of the machine. Work on getting those wheels set right. If you search previous posts you should find a good amount of information on the proper way to adjust those black wheels, if not contact Dawn and she'll get you the info. I will add that the M&M wheels are definitely a better ride so something to add to your wish list!

The wheels are adjustable. There's an offset cog that you can use for adjustment. Be sure to clean any build-up off your rails and run a Q-tip soaked in alcohol in the wheels to clean them. If it were me, I would get new M&M wheels and make sure you know how to adjust them. If you didn't get the instruction manual, you can get one from APQS. It's easy. The M&M wheels are great and will make a huge difference. They're very smooth and make it almost effortless. I always tell my beginning students that square circles are normal when you start out. You will quickly learn the feel of your new machine and with a little practice they will become rounder. It just takes a little time and effort to get control of your machine.

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me to ppp and the squared off circles would go away. That is only partly true. Fortunately I live in Des Moines and my husband went down to the APQS and talked to someone there about how to adjust the table. We thought we had it level, but they had him do something more with that support bar in the center (can't remember what it's called -- I'm sure Dawn or someone can walk you through this). Then I switched to Edgerider wheels (this was before M and M's were available from APQS) and between the frame adjustment and the wheels, it made all the difference in the world. I still need lots of ppp, but circles are rounded, and the head floats from one end of the frame to the other with just a little push.

My first machine was a used Ult 1 with the composite wheels. I bought the machine from APQS, so it had been serviced and adjusted. But, I **REALLY** struggled with it. Square circles was me. This was several years ago before the M&M wheels were available. I purchased Edgeriders and they made an enormous difference. I still had trouble with the lack of a stitch regulator, but at least my circles were now nice and round, not lumpy like potatoes or square.

Eventually I traded my Ult 1 in for a new Millie with bliss, M&Ms, etc - and it is really lovely. But a big investment. If you are happy with your machine otherwise, I'd definitely investigate M&Ms or Edgeriders.

James, Sounds like you are upgrading to the M&M wheels, which you will love, but just so you know what Zeke meant by the "cog" - if you look at the back wheel shown in the picture you will see that the bolt top (or nut, I don't remember which it is - it's the top) is off-center. When you turn that it will adjust how close or how far the wheel is to the carriage due to the off-centerness of it. I hope that is clear as much and believe that is what Zeke was referring to.

Another thing you might want to do is check with Deloa Jones' husband, Dave. Dave seems to hit the road quite often for quilt shows, classes and to deliver and set up machines and the special lights that they sell. When traveling he sets appts along his route to service machines. Check out www.deloasquiltshop.com.

Archived