Want to buy a Towa Bobbin Tension Gauge

If anyone is looking to part with their Towa bobbin tension gauge let me know! I am in the market to purchase one.

Also, has anyone ever used a top thread tension gauge? What are your thoughts on these?

I had purchased both the TOWA bobbin and upper thread for my commercial embroidery machine. Personally I like testing by feel. I can dial in the recommended pull test for the top thread, and sometimes it's still not where i think it should be. I'm not sure on a long arm, I'm still in baby step mode. Even after purchasing the one for the bobbin, I still do the drop test. I guess it's personal preference.

I have both gauges. I use the TOWA bobbin (M) gauge for every bobbin, in addition to the bobbin test explained by Dawn in another post. I recommend the bobbin tension gauge though I find the top tension gauge isn't consistent or accurate enough for me. I use it only as a place to start.

I have the top tension guage. It might work marvelously well....if I would take it out of the drawer. If you want it, I'll sell it to you. Why did I stop using it, you ask??? Because I discovered Magnaglide (magnetic core) bobbins, which virtually did away with tension problems, both top and bottom.

You guys are great! LeeAnn thank you for posting this video. I had never seen it done this way and I really liked the end where he talks about pokies and getting great tension after its off the machine! I have been using the magna glide classics in my bobbin, but it seems like there has been inconsistent tension throughout the bobbin. I am still fairly new to this and so I am not sure if it inconsistent or not. Sometimes I feel like I get the bobbin tension going good, but then the top thread breaks or shreds. I practically have no tension using the tension on the top thread, but when you tug on the top thread going through the needle it still seems very tight. Consistently having pokies on the front.

Susan-I will be sending you a PM

My experience with the towa gauge was short lived. I purchased for top and bobbin. Went to use it and couldn't manage it at all. I do not have petite hands and figured that was it. I could not work with it at all. Got frustrated and sent it all back. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem though. Just saying. Thanks Lee Ann for the Jamie Wallen video. That was great. K

What type of thread are you using? Sometimes that helps us give tips, too.

I use Glide on the top and the magnetic bobbins, very little issues and I really don't "tweek" between quilts, hardly at all.

Jamie's video is great, and I am glad someone posted it here.

We have also started to use some of the Aurifill variegated poly at the studio, and that has run great too.

Not sure why your thread should run so tight out of the needle. I am sure you have checked your thread path, between your tension disks, thread coming off the cone right? Sometimes it is an issue with the cone or spool, too.

Hope you get it resolved.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

I also appreciate the Jamie Wallen video. I am going to test my bobbin this way. I have thought about getting the towa gauge but just haven't gotten around to it. I do think there must be a way to have perfect tension without a gadget, but I think they may speed the process up.

I have had problems in the past with big pokies on the bottom, but mainly because I had loosened top tension because of breaks. I have found in my case that the thread path can be a problem, but the biggest cause is a glob of lint hidden well in the bobbin. In the case of thread path, changing the path through the three hole guide above the tension disks makes the most difference. Another helpful idea that i have read is to put a wad of batting in the guide closest to the thread cone, which settles the thread coming off the cone to keep it from catching.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I was running Gilde thread on top and Magna Glide Classic on bottom. I changed my thread path through the three hole guide as many ways as I could think of. It was very fustrating when it would stitch two or three inches and break or I would think I was going and I couldn't even get through one repeat on the panto!

I haven't been able to get ahold of Susan. So if anyone else has a Towa they would like to sell, let me know!

• 2 months later...

Archived