One again....Insurance????

I know we've beat this subject to death...but I just got my business policy renewal and it has gone up quite a bit to $600.00 per year. So....now I am looking...does anyone recommend a carrier with a lower premium? This is through USAA and their carrier Hartford Ins. and includes liability and equipment...any thoughts???

I can't even get a quote. I asked my insurance guy about it and said that it would be around 1000. a year if not more and that he would let me know then never got back to me. Said even if I didn't do costomer quilts he would have to insure it as comercial because of the size of the machine. I would actually have to pay more insurance for my building then for my house.

So far, mine is about $420 for the year. It's through Indiana Farm Bureau and it's a seperate policy for my business.

One thing we make sure is that I'm covered for replacement cost on my machine. It's a 1994 - and I adopted it for free, so if something happened, I could never replace it! In fact, I'm probably the only one who runs into the quilt room to make sure that it's plugged in when a lightning storm is approaching, LOL!

Of course, I'm not 100% comfortable that everything is covered properly - I try to ask "what if" questions and "how would it work" type scenerios so I get a feel for what would happen, but that nagging feeling is still there-- "boy, I hope this is right". You know?

I am working with HUB International under a group policy called SOCQUIL which stands for Society of Quilters I believe. My policy covers my quilting supplies (including stash, books, tools and machines) as well as my quilts when they are being shipped out to shows. As I do not quilt for others, there is no liability coverage in my policy. I set the size (amount) of the policy and that determines the size of the premium. For $30,000 worth of coverage, my annual premium is $333 (up from $320 last year). Deductible is $500. I have not had to make a claim but this policy allows me to ship my quilts to shows without paying a ton for shipping insurance. I merely insure them for the cost of the deductible. I don't think this would work for everyone but it is just what I need.

Archived