Fading of fabric fixed

A few weeks ago I washed my quilt, went away and left it in the washer for several hours. The red & purple (had been prewashed) faded on to the white. I asked for and got some great advice from you folks on the Forum.

I got Synthrapol, directiions say to soak item in hot water & Synthrapol for 5 minutes. I had wool batting, so I was afraid to soak the whole quilt in hot water. I mixed the synthrapol as directed (in hot water) and put it on the places on the quilt where the dye transferred. I put hot compresses on the spots for 5 min or more. Filled the washer with slightly warmer than cool water added Woolite and lots of color catcher sheets.

I rinsed in cold water & spun out the quilt. I dried it on a drying rack with it spread out onto my kitchen chairs, beside the fireplace with two fans going. It washed and dried beautifully. There are no longer any transfer of color spots. I am so excited. Thank you all for all of the great suggestions. I couldn't have figured this one out myself. Thanks, Jan

Hi Janice,

Thank YOU for posting your success story! I'm so glad this worked for you. I have never needed to use Synthropol but have some on hand for that dreaded day. I do pre-wash all of my fabric but I know that isn't enough for some of those dyes out there.

Archived