Quilting assistance--magnetic bars

The magnetic bars sound like a great idea. I have them in my kitchen, they came from IKEA.

But I do have a question. Computers and magnets are often poor partners. Is any one with a computerised system using these? Is there any effect on the machines systems?

Do not have computerized system; but I think our machines have some computerized components. Would not attach the magnetic bars to the head of my machine or wave them around close to it.

Sixty years ago (I know I am ancient), I worked as a secretary in engineering for a company that produced Alnico permanent magnets. Worked there enough years that little bits of information stuck. If your magnets are getting weaker, you may have been trying to put opposite poles together just for the fun it provides when they reject each other. That will cause them to lose some magnetism and so will exposing them to extreme temperature changes. (Can't believe that magnets have changed too much.) These are usually gradual losses in magnetism.

Maybe someone will chme in with more current information. I use a magnetic pick-up for pins near my domestic machine, but I never attach it to the head as I am afraid it would cause big problems. Guess it might depend on how close the computer components are to your magnets or if they are already attached to the bars before one moves the computer components close. I am carefully using these bars and love them.

Beryl, Hope someone answers your question as I am interested even though I don't have computerized system .

Marilyn

Another thought on the magnetic bars - when the magnetic bars are on the underside of the roller, they may fall off. They do not have enough pull to hold them on. Put bars on after locking rollers and take them off before unlocking rollers. That should keep them from falling on your toe or on the floor.

Sorry I forgot to add that before.

Marilyn

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older topic, but because I've a quilt coming in to repair I searched to find info on the magnets some of you use. Did some searches and see HF has some on sale for $3 but those only have 9# of holding power -v- the 20-40# holding power of others I've been finding. So this may be why some are having great luck but not others (the holding strength). Just thought I'd add this to the topic.

My husband brought me home 2 more magnetic bars from Harbor Freight last week. The first two bars I had he gave me out of his wood shop stash. I unwrapped the new magnets today and sure enough; they don't hold near what my old magnets do. They are both the same brand: US*General; the strong set is Item # 65489 and the weak magnet is Item # 60433. The weak magnet says it is 9.4# of pull so Marcie is correct! My new weak magnets were $4.99 as well. The stronger set is at least twice as hard to remove. I'll be buying some more but make sure I get the 65489.

Even though the stronger magnets hold better, when they are on the bottom of the roller for some time they will fall off.  Magnets are designed to pull and they are trying to pull that roller down.   I have the stronger ones and put them on the bottom to observe; they eventually fell off.  So  just put them on and take them off before advancing rollers.

They are wonderful in my opinion.   Love using them when floating a top and I do this quite often.

Marilyn

I received my new order of the extra strength magnetic bars from Harbor Freight only to find they substituted the 9.4# magnets and their website now says both part numbers 65489 & 60433 are 9.4#.  Beware of what you are buying; I am very frustrated by this.

I received my new order of the extra strength magnetic bars from Harbor Freight only to find they substituted the 9.4# magnets and their website now says both part numbers 65489 & 60433 are 9.4#.  Beware of what you are buying; I am very frustrated by this.

gh

Master Magnetics carries a 20# power bar. The 40# power one was being sold by a woodworking tool supply business, but I can't locate it right now.  When I do I'll repost.

Ohhh!  I often throw on a small practice piece next to the quilt I'm quilting in order to check tension, or just practice something a bit before doing it on the real quilt.  It is always kind of a hassle to figure out how to attach these small pieces, move them as you roll, etc.  I'll bet these bars would be perfect for that!  Has anyone used them that way?

Hi

I looked into these magnets and here in toronto they are hard to find ..l did found them at one store ...over. $20 for one. ..I inquired at harbour freight and they are only $10 and on sale for $5.00...great deal...except the shipping cost is around $37 or $27 for USPS.... Do any of my Canadian neighbours have any other contacts info for these...I like the $5.00 price and I was going to buy 4...there has got to br other places that sell these???

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I use the magnet bars (4 of them) on my bars to float tops, or reattach a quilt when you see you missed a small spot and need to stitch it quickly.  I have a 2006 Millie and I've not noticed any problems having the magnetic bars close to the machine.  

I've bought the harbor freight magnet bars, but I have trouble getting them to stick because of the leaders and the quilt top.  I think it's just too much bulk for the magnets to go through.  Anyway, they didn't work for me.  :(  Could I be doing something wrong? 

51 minutes ago, loraquilts said:

I've bought the harbor freight magnet bars, but I have trouble getting them to stick because of the leaders and the quilt top.  I think it's just too much bulk for the magnets to go through.  Anyway, they didn't work for me.  :(  Could I be doing something wrong? 

There were different strengths of the magnetic bars Harbor Freight carried. I have some of the older ones which were stronger and they work great. The newer bars they carry are weaker but they will work in a pinch.  I looked all over for the stronger bars from the manufacturer but could never find them.  I have not looked recently, however. My post above on March, 2013 has the details.

Archived