Quilting for a shop

SewWhatsUp

I have been approached by a local quilt shop to help with some quilting. The situation is that they had been taking in quilting but recently their machine is having some mechanical problems and they've got a back load. They may end up sending out all of the quilting eventually. I've been offered a percentage of the quilting charged. I am a newer longarmer in our area and haven't built up a large customer base yet. There are several longarmers in our area that are always busy. The last thing is the shop owner is a friend of mine.

My question is, if the quilting fee were to be split, what would be a reasonable split? What have been your experiences with quilting for a shop? I don't think this is something I want to do long term unless it is profitable to me but don't mind helping out in the short term. Any advice is welcome!

Sue

Well, this sounds like your friend using you to maintain her profit on the quilting portion of her business. Are the customers going to be told you did the quilting, and you will then have the opportunity to add them to your customer base? I doubt it. You will have to decide if you want the business because some money is better than no money, you want the practice, you want to help your friend, whatever. If you are going to do this without recognition, you are also going to do this without "blame." If the customer doesn't like something about the quilting, your friend is the one taking the heat. I'd work out in advance what will happen if the customer is unhappy..do you still get paid?

I know of only one shop that has an arrangement with a longarm quilter in our area. The shop is the drop-off/pickup point for the quilter, collects the funds, and retains 15% for the shop.

For me I would decide what I would normally charge for a job, then I would determine how much of cost savings I'd have by having the shop collecting and returning the quilts. Also make sure you take into consideration travel time if that is involved. You can claim mileage as an expense though. Will they be the ones to collect taxes and you'd get a 1099, I think that is the right number form. Make sure you are covering your expenses.

• 3 years later...

Archived