"So Fine" users preferred weight #30, #40, #50

Shopping for thread is like shopping for toothpaste and deoderant. Superior alone has 26 different choices for quilting. I'm wondering what the preferred weight is for your longarming. I use a #40 weight thread on my embroidery machine unless I'm doing real fine detail work or tiny print and then I switch to a #60. Since "So Fine" is a polyester what do you like to use for moderate, edge to edge quilting?

Thanks,

James

I like 60 weight in the bobbin, my go to thread is Bottom Line. I also use filtec's magnabobbin classics but their colors are much more limited. For the top thread I use mostly SoFine 50 weight (their original) or Metro embroidery thread. I sometimes use thicker threads but my style generally calls for threads that blend and don't stand out.

My favorite is Isacord embroidery thread as I like the thread to blend in. I just started using OMNI for the gals I quilt for who like to "see the thread."

Best advise I have ever seen regarding buying new thread is to just buy one cone and test it for your preferences and machine. Don't go hog wild because there is a sale or something!

I use Superior So Fine 50 weight for background fills where I want texture but no sheen. I've been a Superior customer nearly since they started up. You can't beat their customer service. There is a wealth of information on their website for FREE.

If I want to "see" the thread I use Fil-Tec Glide. Beautiful colors and such a pretty sheen to the thread.

I have tons of other threads, but those are my "go to" threads. ;)

glide or isacord are my two basics. both are 40 weight. I use them top and bobbin and they work great. I personally don't like the real thin bobbin threads but I like to see just as nice a thread on the back too. that being said most of my work is allovers. I don't get much time for intricate stippling etc but would probably use so fine 50 or bottom line for that to avoid thread build up.

I routinely use Superior's 50 weight So Fine (and I give cones to my George customers to use during their learning curve with the machine). It's sturdy, runs problem free and has the matte finish I prefer on most of my quilts. I use the 50 weight on the top and in the bobbin. The 40 weight can be a great quilting thread when variegated color is desired. The 30 weight also stitches well and is perfect when you want a bold quilting line for simpler designs or to outline trapunto areas. When I'm doing patterns that require a lot of backtracking (like feathers) or a very dense background fill, I really like Superior's 100 weight Kimono silk.

Nancy in Tucson

When i have difficult colors and I want top and bobbin to match, it's so fine over bottom line.

I think they have the best color selection and I have color cards so I can see it.

But those magna glides are so awesome that I've been using them almost all the time lately.

The colors are limited, but it hardly matters.

The tension is so good I never get the thread showing thru the needle hole to the other side, not even at direction changes and sharp points.

I never thought I'd say it, but they are worth the extra $!

I mainly use 50 wt So Fine in the top and wind my own bobbins....however, I have taken a liking to the FilTec magnetic bobbins and after talking to the folks at Fil Tec, I ordered Magna Soft bobbins to use with my SoFine. I like the combination, although the colors are quite limited for the bobbins.

I also really like Fil Tec's Glide on top and the Magna Glide bobbins. I use the Magna Glide bobbins with my Metro thread, too.

I ordered, but have not used it yet, the Fil Tec cotton thread and magnetic bobbins.

What I don't like using is Superior's King Tut and Rainbows (and a few others). It seems that they always give me fits.

Archived