Does throat size make a big difference in your experience

I'm looking at buying an APQS - new or used.

I thought I knew what I want, and am thinking way too much about it now and trying to downsize myself a bit. My biggest question is: does the 26" throat size make a huge difference compared to the 20" throat size? I am planning to do this as a business, once I practice to death and become skilled at this art.

I like simple, but do the bells and whistles really make a huge difference in your experience? If I am just building my skills right now, do I stay simple for the first 3 or so years, build my business and then upgrade to a fancier machine, or will the fancy features make my business building easier. Does one outgrow a simple machine in the APQS line?

The only thing I KNOW I want in the machine is a lighting system, and the hydraulic lift (I'm tall). Is the manual fabric advance a pain ? Does the bliss system make life really blissful?

I live in Canada, and test driven an apqs top of the line, so I know how it drives. Do the other 'lower' machines run quite differently, or is it a strictly size matters thing?

Any and all advice is so welcome right now. My husband is supportive of any machine - but I'm more cautious of price.

all the apqs machines are good.

everyone always says, get the best you can afford.

i have a freedom.

i love it.

i dont need a thread cutter and use clamps for the horizontal lock.

i love my fabric advance.

wouldn't be without it

i use it when loading quilts as well as advancing them.

i have deloas lights

i do not have the hydraulic lift and so far, i've been ok without it.

i am 5'6"..is that tall?

when i feel my back getting tired, i put on clogs that make me taller.

i also have not upgraded to bliss, but do have m&m wheels.

i love them, but bliss is better.

if you can get bliss, imho, get it.

you wont regret it.

but just know, no matter what you get, its going to take time to get good at it.

practice is key..and luckily, its also fun.

good luck deciding.

Hi, and welcome!! If I were to make the investment in a new machine and had the means and support to pick what I wanted I would go with the most I could afford - there is a reason APQS has designed all the features you have mentioned - because they make your job of quilting much easier and professional looking. Honestly, if the means were available to me I would not hesitate in buying the cadillac Millie with all the bells and whistles. I thought about blissing out my Ulti, Mabel, but I would need to do an expensive change to my table to do so and it wasn't cost effective - but most definitely worth it to add it in when purchasing new. Good luck in your decision and hopefully you will bring an APQS machine in to your home. You will never regret it.

I say Yes, the 26" throat is worth it! I still need to advance forward and back a bit sometimes to get blocks that migrate into the sashings for example. I purchased a used Mille with fabric advance but without the hydraulic lifts. I later added the lifts by purchasing them from a cylinder dealer and my husband made the clamp system for a lot less money. I am 5'7" and use the lifts every time I use the machine; whether for loading; standing at the frame or sitting to do micro work. I also have M&M wheels; but the Bliss is far better. I took a class at a show on a Mille without the fabric advance and it was a pain; but I am used to the motorized. I advise you to purchase all you can afford even if it means purchasing a previously owned machine that has been checked out. These machines and their accessories hold their value so you can't go wrong with either used or new.

I personally feel the bigger throat is better. If you have a very large quilt, you have more room to "roll" it up and still give you a good space to continue your quilting. Also, when you are doing pantos (E2E designs), the larger throat will let you do larger repeats and/or more of the rows before you have to roll your quilt. I like having the larger throat.

I would say that the larger throat size is more important that some of the other features. I don't have hydraulics either (I'm 5'9") and I either take off or put on shoes if my back get tired. I really like my large throat. I can do more on one pass and don't have to roll as often. (but maybe if I had the hydraulics I would be singing a different tune but right now I get along without it and can't see investing that much right now)

i own two machines. A 26" millennium and a 20" liberty. the millennium is my go-to machine because of the longer throat area. my kids however, all prefer the liberty because they are more comfortable on it since it is smaller.

both are great machines...but if i want to quilt a king size quilt...i use the millennium! i can quilt about 15-18" width compared to 12-14". the width makes a huge difference.

both my machines have a hydraulic lift and fabric advance. I wouldn't be without either feature.

I knew I was going to do this as a business when I purchased my millie. I think you should get as much machine as you can afford. The bells and whistles save you time. Don't forget to consider a used machine, either! I wouldn't be without my fabric advance. I personally like the larger throat because there's not panto I can't use! As much as I love my hydraulic lift, it is something you can wait on. I put one on my machine because I teach a lot, and can adjust the height to accomodate the student. If you're the only one using the machine, set it and forget it! There's a lot to look at in the 26 inch throats. There's Lucy, Freedom, and the Millie. Only you can decide which features you don't want to be without. I grabbed for the brass ring when I first got mine. I've never been sorry and never looked back or wished I made any other decision.

If you're trying to save some standing time, I think the zipper system is great! I sit at my kitchen table and pin quilts to the zippers, then take them over and throw them on the machine. Sometimes I have serveral on zippers waiting, sometimes I use pinning the next one on as a little break to sit down for 20 minutes or so. You learn all these tricks as you go. And this forum is a great place for all kinds of tips!

The fabric advance I love. Hydrolics I want. Larger throat I love it enables you to do larger blocks all at once a definite time saver. The thread cutter I don't use. Go larger throat and get all the goodies you can afford now. It is hard to come up with the money to do it later (and hubbys approval) ask me how I know.

Shirley

Get a 14 ft table. I had a 14 ft table on the ultimate ll. I have a 12 ft table on my Millie and I regret that decision, but I bought it used and that was the table they had. These machines are a work horse and I really love mine, This is the 3rd APQS I have had and will probably be my last hope this helps, Carol

I have a Liberty with a 20" throat. My decision to buy this machine over the Millenium was not the throat space, but the way the machine felt when I quilted. I like the vertical handles on my Liberty and I do not like the ergonomic handles on the Freedom and Millenium. That said, "everyone" tells me I would quickly get used to the ergonomic handles if I decided to upgrade. I'm not convinced.

It would be nice to have more quilting space at times, but I am able to adapt to the space I have. I also have the auto advance and the M&M wheels. I would love to have the hydraulic lift, but did not have the money to purchase it at the time. Now I don't think much about it, but if I ever upgrade to a Freedom (don't want the thread cutter on the Millie), I would hope to have the money for the lift and perhaps the Bliss system. And, while I'm dreaming, I would add the new computer system, too. :)

so, now I have narrowed it down to the Freedom or the Millie. I'm just trying to figure out if that darn difference of channel locks will bother me - I don't think I'd use the thread cutter, but I plan on doing lots of modern straight line quilting and wonder if it will make a world of difference to have both channel locks?

Ugh. I thought for sure in the beginning stages I knew what I want, and the more I research it the more confused I get!!!

Shirley and i have a lot in common!! I have a 2008 Millie, and I can tell you that you don't need the thread cutter, love the fabric advance, wish I had the hydronic lift, and will be pining forever for bliss and glide but may never find a way to have either, since i am quilting for myself only. I could have gotten both when I bought it, if they had been available, but now is a different story! At least I have my M&M wheels...

I also use both channel locks, particularly when loading a quilt and basting the sides, but also when doing straight line quilting. That said, I am sure there are those out there who don't have the horizontal lock but have figured out how to make it happen with clips or clamps or what ever.

I am sure whichever you choose you are going to love the machine, the service, and the lovely community of long-armers on this forum!

Just let me say that whichever machine you decide is the right one for you, you will have a terrific machine that will give you many hours of pleasure. I have an older Millie and wish mine were newer so I had LED lights. I have fabric advance and would not be without that. I do not have the hydraulic lift but wish I did. I do not have Bliss and do fine without it but would purchase it if I were buying for the first time and could afford it. I also use my channel locks a lot.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to our family (almost).

I have a Freedom, it was a demo machine and I love it. :wub: I would be lost without my fabric advance.

I am almost 6 foot and I am going to get the lift as soon as I can afford it I wish that I had added it when I bought the machine.

I don't have bliss but that is on the list as well.

I have a 12 foot table just because I didn't have room for the 14 foot. I want the micro handles and I would tell you that you need to get a base for ruler work.

I don't miss the thread cutter but I can tell you that I love the channel locks and if I want to do straight lines both ways I either just pull the machine forward or turn the quilt and continue to use the channel locks.

Hope that helps and welcome.

Connie, I too, am 6 foot tall, so I know height adjustment will be important - I want even the slightest adjustment to ease the strain on my back/knees etc.

I'm all in now. I'm ready to make the deposit on my MILLIE!!!! Now to remeasure and see if I should get the 14 ft or stick with the 12 ft. :-)

Thank you thank you thank you! Excited dance here! and a wee bit nauseous too...I hope my business plan works out.

Remember the fabric advance motor adds about 8 or 9 inches. So to be safe when you measure I would say 13 feet or 15 feet for just the machine frame and motor. Room to work from front and back 5 feet. If you don't have the 5 feet some have put on wheels so they can move the machine to work from both sides. You can put one end against the wall and leave one end to get to the other side. Some people have put the fabric advance in the closet after removing the doors. Hope this information helps. Oh and others have climbed under their machines to get to the other side.

Shirley

Yelp, I went from a Lenni with a 10 foot table to a Freedom with a 12 foot table and a motor advance and it ate up all my walking around room. It fits but it is tight. I will say this, the Lenni was easier for me to do freehand (it is not as heavy) but the longer throat makes it easier for me to do e-2-es. These is not as much advance as with Lenni. What I wish I had was.....Lenni on a 12' table with M&M wheels and motor advance - ha! Good luck with your decision.

Archived