What are the must have gadgets for a new long armer?

I would be really careful about buying too many gadgets & goodies initially. Get to know your machine and get to know the kind of quilting you like to do first.

That being said I think initially a ruler base (don't use rulers without one) and a horizontal spool adapter for our machines are great tools to have on hand initially.

The other "tool" is the one you are using now... this forum & the internet. And don't forget YouTube. APQS has educational videos for you but if you just search for "longarm" or "long arm" you'll find lots of great info. Read the APQS blog and follow the APQS Facebook page for great tips. Sign up for the Superior newsletter and watch the educational videos they have on their site. Linger and lurk here and delve into past posts to learn more.

I put together a post on my blog with my favorite things for new longarmers. Here's a post I did with Newbie Longarm recommendations and here are a few of my favorite longarm quilty things.

I hope that helps!

Ruler base as mentioned above.

Rulers ;) --minimal rectangular ruler until you earn your stripes.

Nothin' else!!

That was kinda snarky, but if you took a poll here on how many rulers/gadgets/tools/helpers members bought which are collecting dust and seldom used, the lists would be loooong and painful to write.

Don't spend money on anything but thread and needles until you are comfortable stitching and want to try something new. Then you can investigate--

pantos, Circle Lord, Hartley products, Quiltazoid, bobbin cams, pattern boards, panto cams, computerized systems, and the hundreds of rulers and templates that are available.

If you can't resist, make a list of recommended objects and allow yourself to buy one every couple of months. Ask on the forum if anyone has an " XYZ set of circle templates" for sale. You'll get replies and if none are for sale and everyone says they could never part with theirs--that's one to put on the list!

My personal faves--two rectangular templates of different lengths. A set of three circle templates used for marking only--never got very good at stitching around them but I can stitch a marked circle pretty well. I have several templates and tools my DH made for me which I won't advertise here. A set of arcs for curved crosshatching--again made by Dennis. I keep all templates in sight stored in a rack so I remember to use what I have! I also have a huge bag of different sizes circular lids, bottle tops, etc used for marking only--invaluable!

Get a pencil--you'll have a long list of recommendations soon!

Extended base. Rectangular ruler just a little longer than your hand. One pantograph and one stencil. Then don't get carried away on thread and prewounds buy one cone and one package of prewounds until you find what works for you. A bolt of muslin using a 50% off coupon from Joannes and maybe some cheater fabric. Play until you are ready to practice on a top.

I went hog wild on rulers and use mainly a couple of them. But I do use pantographs and stencils a lot. You need go find what you like to do and go form there. Don't buy a bunch of one line of thread until you know if your machine likes it. I did that too. Luckily what my machine didn't like my friends did and vice versa.

Shirley.

My Havel 3" double bend scissors and my Bohin 2" quilters pins would have to be on my beginners list, along with a ruler base and a small straight edge less than 6" ruler ( these rulers need to be 1/4" thick). Hartley Vertical thread holder, Dave's (grasshoppers) quilt clips, and Red Snappers would also be on my recommended list for newbies. Extra bobbin cases, stubby Philips head screwdriver for needle plate and flat head for bobbin case. WD 40 and some IsoPropylAlcohol and some cotton buds and clean rags for maintenance.

A Towa Gauge may save lots of tension headaches for a newbie or watch Jamie Wallen's Tension video on You Tube. A5 art sketchbook and pencil, digital camera as you will start to see quilting designs everywhere. Comfy shoes as you will be on your feet for ages!!!!!!!

The list goes on and on and on

It's not a flashy gadget, but I would recommend one of the easy loading systems - Leader Grips or Red Snappers. They really do save time and I LOVE not getting poked with pins anymore! It will make your quilting experience more enjoyable right from the get go.

I second Lyn's suggestion of a Towa guage too. Again, not as flashy or fun as rulers and stuff, but really useful in the longrun.

I use my wave rulers a lot for feathered spines. I have several with different depths in the waves. They make borders look great and I can do them pretty quick. Sometimes I stitch the spines and other times chalk them. I also rely on my Quiltazoid for circles and feathered wreaths. I can't hold a circle template steady enough.

This is really an interesting post.  It shows how different we each are.  A lot of the "must haves" are things I had and got rid of like the Red Snappers and the micro handles.  They didn't suit me.  On the other hand I have "must haves" that others see little value in, like a Towa bobbin tension guage.  Go slow, get an item or two, and see how you like it, and how it suits you.  I agree that an extended base is a must.  The use of too many other things depend on it.  My list would include a Quiltazoid, but you're not ready for it.  I think some of the good long arm instruction books would serve you well.  I like Linda Taylor's and Carol Thelen's books, and maybe Dawn has published one, I don't know, but I'm sure if she has, it's also good.  You'll have to find out what kind of quilting you enjoy most.  For instance, I don't do pantos at all, while that's all some of my friends will do.  As you develop skill, you're quilting preference will give you direction for tools.  Good luck, and enjoy the journey.  Jim

• 2 months later...

I have an extended base for Millennium that has room for bobbin thread cutter. I have used it with the rulers and templates but do not need the setup since I have Quilt Path now. I will sell the lot at reasonable best offer. I have both sets of circles from Quilt University. Two sets of rulers with raised handles. The curved rulers for curved cross hatching. Misc. small shapes for other purposes. I also have a bobbin cam system for sale. Several quilting books showing patterns for quilting and DVDs that go with them. It will take some time to list them all but I sure went all out to get everything and used it some. Others are still in shrink wrap.

Archived