I am a Survivior!

I am a Survivor!

5 years ago today I had the devastating news that the lump I had found in my breast was indeed Cancer. The kids were away at Youth Parliament at the time. The worst day of my life was on that Sunday when I had to tell my kids.

But here I am 5 years later, healthy, happy and much more mellow about life! I was so lucky to find the lump when I did. I was so lucky to have such good health care, and to live in Canada with our health care system.

I not only survived the disease, I survived it's crippling mental effects. I survived the changes to my body the 3 surgeries caused. I survived appearing in public with one breast until I was well enough healed to wear a prosthetic. I survived people staring at my pic line. I survived being bald. I survived chemically induced menopause.

I came out the other side of this realizing what is important- my family who took such good care of me, my friends who stood by me, and my health. I do not stress over the small stuff as much (ok I still do a little), I do not pass up an opportunity to do something with my family or friends because I am too "busy." I do not rush through things as much, instead I enjoy the process! And I find myself helping other breast cancer patients in their journey.

I will never forget:

-Roger telling me he loved me for ever and for always.

- Roger telling people the hardest thing he ever did was watch me being wheeled into O.R.

-Kathleen and Rocky surprising me by coming home to see me.

-Jennifer writing me a story

-Victoria driving me where I needed to go and changing and cleaning the pic line dressings.

-my friend Janice arriving the day I was having trouble coping with the makings for soup, staying with me and making soup for me

-Mom for staying with me and helping around the house

-my friend Susan for driving over from Wetaskiwin frequently just to see me.

- the numerous people who sent me cards and messages.

Most importantly, today I am remembering, but feel peaceful, happy and healthy...

You are very blessed for sure with all your family and friends, I understand every thing you went though and want  you to know that people like us (9 years for me this past October) how this changes how we look at life and just the little thing that make us happy.  Congratulations for the good work, and god bless

So great to hear a success story instead of a sad one. Two of my sisters have had breast cancer, two of us have not. One has celebrated 20 years and the other 15. I thank God everyday that I still have them both in my life and that I have not had to endure what they and you have gone through.  So happy for you Ardelle...and it sounds like you had a great attitude, which is in MHO the most important part.

Congratulations Ardelle on Five years!!! I personally know how that six letter work (cancer) turns a person's world upside down. I am a 11 year survivor myself. I'm glad to hear you had the Love and Support of Family and Friends; that is very important.  I didn't have that during my process and treatment (by my own choice).  I pray you add many more anniversaries to your five year milestone!  I also pray that if anyone else here has to go through that horrible process that they have the same outcome as you have had. God Bless you!!!

Archived