Help!!   I am doing an appliqued quilt and was going to just use invisible thread around the appliqued area.  The thread keeps skipping and breaking.  What should I do?  I already changed the needle to 3.5 (that's the smallest I got) and tried loosing the tension (up and bottom) but when I stitch along a bit, then it starts to skip the stitches, then the thread breaks.  Anyone got suggestions?  I am using YLI thread.

It sounds like it is not catching the bobbin thread, I too am using mono around an applique quilt and I find that I have to thread the machine a little differantly to make sure it is  much looser than normal thread. Plus I usually spin the tension dial around a whole turn looser,  I also only weave it through two of the three holes on the little thingy above your tension spring.  That should keep it from breaking but not sure about the missing stitches.

Hitomi,

If it's skipping, the hook isn't quite catching your bobbin thread. That means there's too big a gap between the needle and the hook point for it to find the little, skinny invisible thread. Actually, try going UP a size to the 4.0 needle, and turn the needle eye slightly to the left a bit. And as Vicki suggests, try threading it using only two holes on the 3-hole guide instead of 3. If you're using the short YLI cone of thread, put it on the back vertical spool holder.

Set the bobbin at 15 on the Towa ( translates to "pretty loose") and set your top tension to "so loose the disks aren't even touching". Only two holes in the three-hole above the tensioner. When you pull the thread through the eye of the needle and let it go, there should be no kink or curl in the thread. Sometimes that's not possible, but as close as you can. Set your spi to big--like 10. 

So, to condense--loose bobbin and very loose top thread, the fewest "tension points" on the way to the needle, long-ish stitches, and don't go too fast. This is my formula for Monolon--which is thinner than Monopoly.

Good luck, Hitomi!

Invisible top and bottom is tricky. If you can get it to work and are happy with your stitches, that's great!

I use BottomLine bobbins with invisible. It gives the thin slippery nylon thread something to grab onto. Two nylon threads can be too slippery against each other. Maybe check the Superior Thread site for thread compatibility. I think they have a chart that shows good combos.

Hitomi, I do use invisible thread top and bottom a lot, especially around applique. Back in '94 when I bought my machine, machine quilting itself was still largely considered "cheating" and since most of us were self-taught, no one told me I couldn't (or shouldn't) do that. In fact, I made a "whole cloth" quilt to demonstrate my quilting for my business back then, entirely from invisible thread both top and bobbin. That was going way out on a limb back then. :)

If you'd like to try it in both the top and bobbin, loosen the tension as Linda suggests for both top and bobbin. It may need to be loosened a lot depending on where you started from. Simply check your tension the way you normally would, and run your fingernail along the bobbin thread path to see if it 'catches' on the top thread loops. If so, tighten the top thread a bit more. If the bobbin thread breaks, the tension is too tight. If the top thread breaks, first loosen the tension but then try changing the 3-hole thread path to two holes. 

Thanks,

I ended up using the nylon top and bottom and loosened it up the tension on both.  Checked the stitches and it seemed to work so I finished the quilt tonight.  I remember using invisible thread before but didn't have the problems, but this time, it was nasty to me.  Dawn, I did what you suggested and put the 4.0 needle back on.  That seemed to help and the stitches wasn't skipping from then on.  Thanks for all the help, you da bomb!

Aloha

:)

I have read (or heard) that using a slippery thread like Bottom Line with mono-filament is not a good idea. The knots don't catch because both threads are slippery. I always use Magna Quilt or even So Fine when I use invisible threads. Just a thought; and maybe someone who knows more than I do will chime in!

I always use BL with mono thread and never have a problem.  In fact, I'm using it right now.  I go up the first hole and down the last one, like a weave.  I don't go around the holes with the thread.  I loosen the top tension and I've been using it like that for two years with bottom line in the bobbin.  No problems.