Anyone Using Micro Drive Handles on an Ultimate 1?

I have a few questions!!  :)

Do I need a special style of micro drive handles for my machine because it is older?

I am doing well with most shapes but my biggest struggle is the spine of feathers and retracing down the line I create for feathers.  Would micro drive handles help me with this?  I'm also a fan of tiny pebbling and it seems I can only create GIANT pebbles well with my machine as it is.  LOL*

I am planning to use these without stitch regulation...anyone who's done that have any tips?  I'm a little nervous because I'll have to "go" with one hand when I start.

Thanks!!

I had a set of micro handles on my Ult 1 and used them when micro stitching. I'm not positive but I think the Millie micro handles fit Ult 1. I am sure someone else will chime in on that. I'm not sure if the micro handles will help with your feather spines, everyone has their own little tricks that work for them. Once you get a little more comfortable and of course a little more ppp you will have no problems with one handed starts.  Good Luck....your doing Great!!!

Thank you Liam!  I sure hope so.  I don't know if they will help either but I knew off the bat I'd want them.  I'm just wondering if having my hands closer to the fabric if I'll have more control.  I quilted up some ginormous feathers yesterday lol*  I'll post pictures.  They look great!!!  It's getting down to non-monsterous sizes that is hard!!  I am getting frustrated but I guess it really is just practice that I'm lacking!  :)

Hi Pumpinpatchquilter!

The microdrive handles for the Millie do fit your Ultimate I machine. You can order them directly from APQS simply by calling us or emailing our parts team at parts@apqs.com. I have been quilting on an Ultimate I since 1994 (no stitch regulator on mine either) and agree with Liam...with a little more practice under your belt you'll see a huge improvement. It is a little bit of a balancing act turning on the machine and being prepared to "go" immediately, but you'll get the hang of it soon. I became real adept at crossing my hands over (I'm left-handed) and hitting that "go" button with my left hand. 

You may see greater improvement in your "small scale" technique by slowing the motor down, and also by keeping the area you're working in closer to you (near the quilt top roller). That way you can also rest your forearms on the quilt top bar for increased stability. You'll get it! :)

Yay!  Thank you so much Dawn this is reassuring in SO many ways!!!  I was able to get some good feathers tonight and am discovering just as you said, keep my work area closer to me and I get better results.  I slowed down too and that is helping.  I so appreciate your help and would be LOST without this forum.  :)

Archived