Finally!!! Feathers!!! And a Peacock Feather!!!

Oh my gawsh!!!  Finally!!!  I am so happy I finally have something that resemble decent feathers!!!  I would never use these on anything, I mean they are just goofing around practice feathers, but what I'm thrilled about is finally getting back to the spine!!!

James if you're reading - it was car wax!!!  Watched the dvd that came with our old machines and we can use car wax on our old aluminum frames.  It made a world of difference!!!  I'm going to make this a routine for each quilt...clean wheels and wax to clean the rails/track, not sure what it's called.

Anyhow posting a picture of the peacock feather that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and the wompely feathers just to show the progress.  If you've been following my posts...today marks TWO WEEKS since I brought my APQS Ultimate 1 home.  I am SO SO SO SO SO happy!!!  :)

- Valerie

post-10627-0-58006100-1359928286_thumb.jpg

post-10627-0-61978000-1359928291_thumb.jpg

Wow, your feathers are fantastic! I don't think you have much to worry about! And those are done without stitch regulation?  I couldn't get anywhere near those nice of feathers so I eventually ended up getting the I/S stitch regulation added on mine.  You are doing fantastic, and are well on your way to a successful long arm life!

Thank you Bonnie!  Oh my gawsh I was getting nervous.  I might even apply a second coat after dinner and I give the kiddos baths...it cleans the oxidation of the rails too and I have a feeling that buildup was causing some major drag.  It's kind of a pain and I'm hoping to get Bliss some day...but until then if I can keep getting better at feathers on the LA as it is then I can handle waxing as a part of my routine!!!

I just used hard shell Turtle Wax.  It's the same stuff I use to polish my old vintage black laquered machines.  That's actually the ONLY reason I had it on hand too!!!  We have Mom-mobiles so I don't spend a lot of time doting on my cars hahaha - that time is spent sewing!!!  Now, the video said there was a certain ingredient to avoid...and I'm hoping the Turtle Wax doesn't have it, when I have time I'll go back and look.  I'm kind of thinking since it's safe for my vintage machines it shouldn't hurt the aluminum frame.

I would check with APQS before using it on your frame though - James who I mentioned up there I think has an aluminum frame like mine (or is it wooden?) but I have read other posts where Dawn says no longer to do that and I don't know if it's just not necessary or if it will cause damage.  :wacko:

- Edited to add - sorry I'm a dummy Bonnie, I JUST read you have a Nolting lol*  Check with Nolting first, I'd hate to give you advice that would hurt your frame!  :)

Very nice. I'm having a hard enough time drawing them on paper.  I bought the "Fowlproof Feathers" dvd's in hopes grasping the concept. I can do the right side but not the left. I think that side of my brain must be asleep.

And yes it's the aluminum frame :) . I also read the "Do use it" and the "Don't use it" car wax topics. I just chose after releveling the table to use a generous amount of rubbing alcohol and a handful of Q-tips and cotton balls. It helped a lot.

You're showing great progress. I need to go back and re-read your first post and see if it helps with me with mine.

Archived