Oh my word!

I have to wonder if there would have been LESS fullness in that border if she hadn't quilted the interior of the quilt so heavily first. I'm don't see that she did any stabilization by stitching in the ditch between the borders before quilting them. Yes, there is a lot of extra fullness in the border, BUT, I think perhaps because of that, it should have been quilted first instead of last. Personally, I'd rather take a few well placed pleats that line up with interior seam lines, than have this "trapunto" effect.

The video does show tho', just how much fullness you can "quilt out" with this type of quilting.

How would YOU handle a quilt like this? Good discussion topic!

I thought the same thing Darlene.  Needed to stabilize those borders somehow before doing all the interior quilting.  Pinning or basting or something.  Not sure I really liked the look after it was quilted either.  You could still see fullness and wrinkles and I think tucks would have been less noticeable.   JMHO !  :unsure:

I can't see the link on my iPad.... Chris could you post it again?

I don't quilt for customers (so i know that i have done everything to make sure there is not fullness in the border) but I have read or seen, can't remember, it could have been a Linda Taylor video on thequiltingschool.com, that if you plan on heavy quilting in the middle of the quilt you should at least stabilize the border, and even quilt it first, to prevent added fullness after the middle is quilted.

I thought the same thing, Darlene! It also was interesting that the inner border was so crooked. I would have quilted the border or at least stabilized it first. Even on my own quilts I usually quilt the borders first or as I go. In this case, my preference would be to take a tuck or two rather than have all that puffiness. I've had to do that a few times when I quilted for customers. Most of the time you couldn't tell. I always got permission and sent photos first.

I'm looking for a few more insights from those of you with experience so I don't create extra challenges.

So if the boarder in the video wasn't "full" before the interior was heavily quilted, then what is the process for avoiding a "friendly boarder" created by the quilter?  

What are the steps you go through on a custom quilt?  Do you go down the quilt once stitching in the ditch or heavily pinning around blocks and quilting the boarders?  When do you draw the pattern onto the quilt?

If you're doing a panto, do you center it on the first row and go for it or calculate what the end row will look like? 

Much thanks,

I always take a quick photo with my photo of any friendly borders with a ruler beside the humps and lumps. Then I VERY diplomatically talk to my customer about the fullness when I return the quilt and discuss how important it is to measure borders so that I can be sure to give her back the best possible outcome. I talk about how fullness dictates that there are some designs I can't do in really full areas and how I know she'd want to prevent these kinds of limitations in quilting choices. Again, DIPLOMATICALLY and VERY POLITELY. 

I typically take a tuck on something that full as well. With more photos, BTW. 

Oma, are you using an iPad? I had to go to my PC to see the video.

I don't see how you would get this much fullness if you basted the edge and SID the whole quilt before starting the heavy quilting in the middle. During the stabilizing, I think I would notice very wavy borders, and quilt them first. I am not all that experienced, am I wrong here?

Oma, try this direct link to you tube. It's should be the 7th video down, "working in fullness on a large quilt."

I've watched some of her videos before and like how she quilts with one hand. I can't do that with my machine! Maybe I need to hit the gym?

Chris, I'm glad you posted this link! I, too, would have stabilized my borders before quilting the interior but it just didn't dawn me that she made it that much worse. That others pointed this out made me realize, oh wow! that's what happens without stabilizing? Yikes!!!!

It worked for me Linda.  At least I think we are all looking at the same thing.  Wow that border had some fullness to it.  I'm with the rest of you I do think a lot of it was caused by not stabilizing it before heavily quilting the inside of the quilt, but she did a good job taming it.  I don't mind the "puffiness" of the quilt afterwards because I think a lot of that was the batting she used.  I have quilts I did like that on purpose because I wanted that effect.  I really like to see SID on those straight lines between borders because it gives it such a "finished" look.  That's just a personal thing though.  And towards the end of the video when she showed a cross shot that border looked terribly crooked, but I think it was the camera angle and the way the quilt was.  Interesting little video

Since we're talking about stablizing, I have a question.  When you stabilize  a quilt before quilting the blocks, Do you stitch down the sides of the outside border , then SID the blocks, going all the way to the end of the quilt, then reroll??  I am working on one of my own quilts right now, and am SID all the blocks as I go and feathering  the outside border as I go.  But would it be better to just make a stitching line all the way around the border first?  I was afraid it would pucker when I I rerolled it.  Am I making any sense?? :huh:    thanks for any help for future quilts!!

If you received a quiilt with this much border fullness wouldn't you have contacted the customer and given them a chance to remove and redo it?  I just don't think it looked nice finished at all - tucks would have been more eye appealing and less noticeable.  I agree that the inside should have not been done first and if they had waited to do the inside it may have caused less of a pronounced issue in the border.

Archived