My new studio

Anniquilter

It's official, I'm moving house!  I'm only moving about 35 miles but.....drumroll...it's a new house and I will have most of the semi-finished basement to turn into a quilt studio.  It will have some natural light, is a walk out and will give me lots of space to play in. 

I won't be able to completely finish it yet but am thinking about flooring.  Since we will need to put in a sub-floor over the concrete I'm wondering about a suggestion someone recently made to use dricore tiles.  Has anyone ever used them?  Would you do it again?  I'm looking to be economical but not do anything that would have to be ripped out when we are ready/able to finish the basement. The person who recommended them said they had used them in their basement and just varnished them.

As you can probably understand, this is the room I am most concerned to get organized!  I had to pack up my studio over 3 weeks ago and I'm having withdrawal symptoms.......The last week of February, when the house should be finished, can't come soon enough for me!

I used the rubber puzzle mats in my studio over the concrete floor. Other option before was I painted the floor with the epoxy paint with the speckles for garage floors as the cement was a pain to clean. Paint makes cement easy to damp mop an rubber mats are easy on the feet when quilting and not cold. I sew barefoot. Bought them at Sam's club. You can trim them with a utility knife.

Shirley

Anne we have them in our basement and yes we'd do it again.  It helps with the dampness from the concrete and also is way softer than the concrete.  We put laminate floors down on top, easy clean-up.  I wouldn't change anything about the flooring I have now.  It is a little pricey but worth it I think.  We were also able to level out the concrete floor using them.  I've had them for at least 5 or 6 years now.

How exciting....I loved setting up my studio.  These are some things I would/wouldn't do again.

I tend to always have cold feet and quilting on concrete, even with rubber mats, isn't enough to keep them warm. We put down the puzzle piece mats (I love the look, did black and white--you can see them HERE), but we neglected to put down any insulation or padding. I've also found that the rubber mats seem to have three seriously irritating issues for me: 1) they attract dog hair and its almost impossible to get up. I use a smaller vacuum on it almost daily, but it still doesn't work very well; 2) over time, the mats lose their integrity. When initially put down, I could easily move my machine (I have the furniture mover thingies under the legs); however, now, its sunk so far into the floor that there's no moving it. And anything that's been sitting for awhile leaves some serious dents and they're not coming out. Also, even though I have a one of those secretarial plastic mats over the rubber mats where I sew, the tires make a dent and its impossible to keep my chair out of them, and 3) as the temperature of the floor fluctuates, so does the fit of the mats. They either lie flat or have big bubbles in them from expanding. Not a huge issue, but irritating!!

So...that said, here's our potential resolutions. We are going to put down a pergo floor (it comes with the pad attached). That will make for easy cleaning and have the insulative value which will help with my cold feet. I'm also looking into the radiant electric floor heat (Home Depot sells it)  for just the area where I'm standing while I quilt. I have wanna-be industrial cushion pads behind my machine on top of the black/white pad to help block cold and give me even more cushion for standing as well.

Keep us posted as you're working on your space. It will be so much fun to watch it come together.

I have ceramic tiles on my floor as I do in all rooms of the house except the bedrooms and theatre. Cool in summer. colder in winter but our winters are mild compared to yours.  Dust with a mop each day for the fluff bunnies and the occasional mop. I have three pairs of  Birlenstocks or Crocs under the machine which I slip on while I am standing at it  for the comfort.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, here are some pictures (if I can work out how to add them) of what will become my Studio. We moved in last weekend and are overwhelmed with boxes and too much stuff! I knew we were downsizing and thought we had sold/given away enough furniture and other stuff but we still have way too much!

This area is for my studio

This is after adding the Dricore subfloor to the area that will become my studio

post-1527-0-40950100-1362165564_thumb.jpg   After we moved in !   If you think this is a lot of stuff, the rest of the basement space is full too!

I can see where my Milli will live.....

The rest of the basement, not sure why this picture posted last when I selected it first.  Oh well.  This area is now packed with boxes and bed springs etc.

Sorry some of the pictures are fuzzy - they are the ones I took with my phone!

post-1527-0-56770400-1362165501_thumb.jpg

post-1527-0-12300100-1362165542_thumb.jpg

Yes Kristina and Quilted Sunflower, thank you.  It should be great when I get it sorted.  It is about 14' x 26', has good daylight and great height for a basement. It will be wonderful to have all my quilting/sewing in one area and I'll make a small office corner too. That used to be in my kitchen and always spread onto the island.  Not good!

I think I will need to tack up some polythene on to the ceiling rafters as I noticed wood chips on several surfaces, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do.  There is no dedicated heating but the boiler and hot water tank are just behind where I was standing to take these pictures and, while I will probably need more heat in mid-winter, so far it is warm enough down there.

Archived