Flower Garden with Freehand Feather Filler (99% freehand)

AHuffman

Everything on this quilt is 100% freehand except for the one far outside border/corner. 

flowergarden.jpg

One of my clients did the machine applique for each of the flower blocks and since the applique crosses over the setting triangles I knew I needed to select a quilting design that would also be free flowing. I was in the mood to do some free hand feathers and I got a bit carried away. :)

iris.jpg

I used Quilt Glide to help me in the tiny spaces and, of course, Bliss makes guiding the machine on all those teensy feathers sooooooo much easier.  I used Fil-Tec's Glide as my top thread, Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. I used YLI nylon monofilament around the applique. The outside border is the only thing done by computer and that is my own twisted arch pattern. I think it looks like church windows when it gets repeated. Oh, and the batting is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. 

sunflower.jpg

I'm working on a quick video tutorial of how to do the freehand feather border. It is a very common design and super simple once you "see" how it goes together. 

My client is on vacation and I'm looking forward to showing her how it turned out. 

pansy.jpg

You can see more photos over on my blog

I recognized some of the flower blocks from Janet Pittman of Garden Treasure Designs. I had a class from her way back and did the tulip block. She lives in Iowa and we belong to 2 guilds together. I enjoy sitting near here at retreats and seeing the new designs she is working on. She is also a Master Gardener and actually grows her inspiration!!

The wonderful feather quilting really enhances the designs. I will have to show her the pictures of it.

Archived