How long to quilt a Glacier Star

There have been quite a few of us that have quilted a Judy Nemeiyer Glacier Star, so I thought it might be an interesting comparison to see just how long we take to quilt them.

My own quilt was the 60'x 60"  so 25 sq feet and I heavily custom quilted it. 

It took me 11 hours from the time I took it out of the bag to the time I took it off the frame.  I'd like to charge a customer $495 for me to do it. 

I know of another shop owner who has been quoted this amount by another longarmer to have her shop sample done.  So I am close to the dollars.  But that is $20 a sq foot. 

Our minumum wages are higher than the US, an 18yr old earns almost $20 an hour at McDonalds.  I feel as a quilter we should earn way more than that per hour.

So how long has it taken others of you doing a Glacier Star to quilt them, or if you willing how much did you charge/or should you have charged the customer?

I find it very hard to keep track of hours as I quilt in our quilt shop and as an owner there are lots of interruptions and distractions. I would guess however that it would take me at least as long as top you took. I charge $0.08/square inch, which comes to $288....guess I should charge more...not sure anyone would pay it.....:(

If $20/hour is your area's minimum wage it may be that higher costs for services may be more acceptable in your area ($495 -v- $288) - if that's a going and acceptable amount, go for it!  Btw, I love your quilting and your blog!

My following statement really isn't at all about your question, but definitely relevant when it comes to the value of what we do. Many newbies to long arm quilting are reading and learning about our profession/art here on the forum and I think it's an important topic.  Honestly, it's bothersome to me when long arm quilters offer services for unreasonably low prices.  I know, we think it's just affecting our own pocketbook, but I feel like it lowers the actual and perceived value of long arm quilting as a whole.  Of course, I am not talking about Ardelle's psi price as that is wholly fair, and she is probably a fast quilter so her time to finish one is less than someone else.  I just feel any long armer quilting for $.01 psi or less is devaluing our service as a whole.  I've had many people ask about quilting their flimsies, and when I tell them what a range would be they're shocked and don't get back to me - or they flat out tell me they can send them to X or Y for $50 (go ahead).  I'm not offended, however, because I have the liberty of choosing IF I want to do any or not. I just am not in a place in life where I'm letting anyone tell me what or how I am going to do sewing/quilting for any certain price. I know, some may not have that choice, but thinking getting any money for doing it is better than none, I feel, is wrong. .  The tools of our trade are expensive, have upkeep, and our skill in using our tools is invaluable.  Price accordingly.

I agree with Marci's statement about pricing.  Since I am new to Longarm quilting as  business, I am running a sale for the month of February.  However, I've told everyone that this is a special price for the sale only and my regular prices are twice as high as the sale price.  Still waiting for that first quilt to come in.  Meanwhile, I'm still quilting my own quilts.  As far as Lyn's post, Yikes!  It sounds like the cost of living in Australia is very high.  Even higher than Hawaii where I love to vacation!  

I have one the same size on the frame now. I'm charging 5 cents an inch--only because it's a "medium" custom. No micro-stitching and no ruler work. This one will be very casual--the piecer never cares that her stuff doesn't line up and she forces fabric together "joyfully". I will do lots of scrollwork and follow the piecing, but no SID since her ditches are never straight. I figure I can get this done in 8 hours. The most I've charged for a JN top was 8 cents--lots of micro-filler and rulerwork. Minimum wage here is 9 USD and I make about $15 per hour on an intensive custom. ( I know--not enough!) :unsure:

I have not had the pleasure of quilting a JN quilt yet but I know I don't charge enough. I am doing a semi custom now with two separate borders and  meander in   and 20 birds to outline and I caved to a lower price of .02 a psi and now am kicking myself because the quilt  "issues" and is taking forever.

Australians are used to paying double a least what you do for a basic car, I think average house price is upwards of $300,000. 

Should  I start on milk and bread but the supermarkets are doing a price war on those so we can buy loaves of bread for $1 it used to be $3, Milk is now $1 a litre which is almost 1&1/2 pints, before the price war it was $1.50.

Downside of the price war is the farmers are nor being paid as much.

That would be an interesting price comparison across different states, countries and continents.

Loaf of Bread

Bottle of milk

Pound of Sugar

Pound of flour

Slab of tasty cheese

What other staples should we add? Fruit, vegie, meat    and we need to make it a constant weight too.

Jar of honey

My comparison of the differences in the minimum wage between the countries was only mentioned because it was directly used as a comparison of what one would be averaging on a quilt job and an 18 y/o working at an Australian McDonalds earning $20 an hour.  I hope I wasn't misunderstood.  What you can charge for a quilting job I would hope would be more than a fast food chain job, but it is what it is. 

I feel we need to teach the customers and up-and-coming long armers that long arm quilting takes skill, hours and hours of practice, expensive equipment and overhead, and we need to affirm that it is ok to charge accordingly (if they are in to long arm quilting as a means of earning an income).  As long as there are sellers out there thinking, 'Cool, I can quilt that for a quick $40 or $50.' have just set themselves up to keep that ball rolling in that direction.  Of course, having sales at lower $/psi is a common marketing tool, and it is effective.  But undercutting your competition long term will only burn you out and wear out your equipment before you have a chance to build up some equity or savings.  My husband and I farm as our main profession and will not sell our commodities less than market price just to make a buck - we would be shooting ourselves in the foot. Those who are here on the forum who have a close clientele have proven what I'm saying - their customers are willing to pay $.06 and up for good custom work because they understand they are receiving professional services.

Archived