Questions about first non practice quilt

post-10159-0-99025200-1360297098_thumb.jpegMy sweet husband gave me a Millenium for Christmas(and bithdays and anniversaies for the next 10 years, HAHA) and I have been just practicing and learning how to use it. Now I am ready to quilt a real top. My question is what pattern to choose and if on this sampler I should change the top thread color to match the different colors on each block. I'm stuck now that I have it loaded on the frame. Any suggestions for this newby. By the way, I have learned tons from reading this forum. Thanks to all for sharing so graciously. 

I love these three blocks together on the row of your quilt. i would play. By that I mean I use a piece of clear vinyl or plastic and a dry erase pen and draw lots of different designs before I decide what to quilt. as for the thread, it's your choice. I would used different colors on each block. I see a really fun quilt to quilt. so have fun and puddle the thread on the quilt to chose your colors and play with that dry erase pen for your designs!!!!  Can't wait to see what you do!!!1

Wow, what great husband to give you such an awesome gift!

Choice is really up to you here ultimately. Do you want to treat all the blocks individually and give them something custom, so they all have a little wow factor? Or do you prefer to harmonise the blocks with an all over design? Like Dell suggested, puddle your thread on top to see what works. You may be surprised what colours of thread will do the job on this top.

I'm sure it will look great whatever you decide. Can't wait to see the finished result. :)

Welcome Serena.  What a fun top to play on.  I'd probably do all the SID and pin the snot out of those blocks as you roll forward.  Then go back in and change threads, play and have fun.  I love my flat head pins for pinning.  I saw on one site to take a small piece of eraser to cover the tip so you have no unexpected sticks. Have fun.

Sharon there is always more than one way to skin a cat  :D so to speak.  You could change threads as you go and stitch all areas before you roll.  I would do this if I wasn't going to have large areas of the same color.  Lots of options and really no right or wrong way of doing it.  Definitely stabilize and then fill no matter if you do it fill as you go or after you stabilize.

I am going to throw a different thought at you. I would chose a white thread and only quilt in the white areas of the blocks making the colors pop...and would sid around all the colored pieces. The red log cabin block poses something different...but I believe sid each log would look great. Congrats on your millennium. Can't wait to see what you do to this top.

• 2 weeks later...

post-10159-0-07771600-1361695888_thumb.jpeg

:P Okay... I finaly finished my first quilt. I had the stomach flu and family distractions but I finished.I learnedd so much on this calendar BOM sampler. For me just finishing it and not let perfection distroy the fun was a huge thing for me, but I did it. YEAH!!!!!!

Thank you to all the suggestions and support. You ladies are great. 

Archived