To counter the hurt feelings

Jumping in as the second pajama quilter. I have a funny story. I got up one day and did not feel like getting dressed, so I went downstairs and started quilting in my jammies. An hour or so later the dogs started to bark and I thought what the heck is wrong with them. When I went upstairs there stood my customer at my door dropping of her quilt! There I stood in my jammies! I had totally forgotten our appointment! Thank goodness she has been a good customer and has become a good friend through the years, so we both just laughed and shared a cup of coffee and checked out her quilt! Thank goodness I had my "cute" pajamas on that day!

Hahaha I thought I was the only one that had that happen!  It was a really good thing I knew that customer!  I love quilting in my pj's.

Thanks Linda for lightening the mood and making us all laugh!   

I appreciate your insight and feelings Linda.  I am new to this forum, but I have been quilting for many years.  I teach quilting often and am a member of several quilting groups on and offline alike.  I think this forum is much like a guild, and I have known many people to join guilds for their comraderie as well as leave them for feeling left out.  I think it's as easy to feel offended as it is to maybe, express things in a way that doesn't deliver the message you intended.  I don't know if my post was one that you were hinting towards, but I will honestly say I am grateful for ALL of the advice that has been shared, even that which may have bruised my ego!!  ;)  I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone here - and I'm the type of gal that if you hurt me, I will tell you.  I'd much rather straighten out the issue right there and then, than to walk around feeling badly about it.  99% of the time I've found that others aren't out to be unkind or inconsiderate...we are often just sharing a brief moment out of our lives here on the forum.  It is wise to think carefully about what you say and how you say it - yet on the same note, none of us will get it right all of the time.  We're going to rub people wrong or be misinterpreted...but it's all in how we deal with those feelings and misunderstandings.

I am truly grateful to APQS for not only giving us this forum to share - but openly participating in it as well.  I'm grateful to those of you who are proficient at what you do and willing to share your personal time and knowledge...expecting nothing in return.  I hope to do the same one day!  To date this has been a wonderful place to come and ask questions, share pictures, and make friendships.  I hope to continue to learn and share with all of you for many years to come!  :)

Linda!  I seriously couldn't have said it better!  It's exactly what I think, but I'm sure my delivery wouldn't have been as good and I might have hurt someone's feelings.  I, too, have had a number of e-mails over the years calling me a show-off or a thread snob, etc.  We all progress with our quilting journey as far as we have the courage to go and I've learned a lot throughout the years from the forum.  It was invaluable in the beginning as I was able to avoid a lot of newbie mistakes because I had read about the problem and the solutions ahead of it happening to me!  I think we all have to remember we're not intentionally trying to hurt anyone's feelings.  (Some reserve that for a private e-mail, at least.)  As for duplicate answers, sometimes someone is posting at the same time.  Happened to me just a little while ago.  I look at it as the second (or third) time it's said, just supports the first time.  You can skip over it!  So, let's keep the spirit and continue to share. :D

P.S. I used to quilt in my PJ's!  Now my studio is separate from the main house, so I have to go outside and walk across the driveway.  There's always someone walking their dog down the street so I would get caught in my PJ's if I wasn't dressed!

WOW..........I am really shocked, but I guess not really surprised, that some of you have received nasty e-mails !!!!  What on earth is the purpose of that????   If they don't want to read what you post, skip over it !    No need to send hateful e-mails.   There are many of us who really enjoy and love the ideas, tips, tricks shared by those who have been at this for a while.   I don't read every single post and do skip over some that don't interest me............I don't send an e-mail to the person(s) writing them to complain.   Geez...........Grow up and move on !!! 

This forum is an invaluable resource and source of inspiration for all of us.  Any problem one has - design help, machine maintenance, problems with thread tension or batting, carelessly pieced tops - even some pretty darned tasty recipes.  And friendship and support for all who participate.  I haven't visited this site for the past week or so, so don't know what precipitated Linda's post this morning, but I appreciate reading every post, and learn something from almost every post.  Keep on posting - jammies or otherwise!!!

I love what Linda says!! :wub:     I wish I could quilt in mu PJ's but machines are in town at my studio and the whole purpose of that is so I can help cover ambulance call as an EMT...don't think it would look very professional to jump out of the ambulance at patient's home or at the hospital with jammies on!!

Thank you to EVERYONE who takes the time to read and comment on posts.  Many days I only have time to glance quickly through the forum and see who is new, who needs some prayers, etc.  I may not take the time to respond to the postings but I walk away from the computer and back to the longarm thinking about each prayer request (and praying) and thinking about how much progress someone has made, how excited so-and-so must be as something special is happening in their life.  I might not respond...but I am reading them and thinking about the people who posted.

I debated about posting a comment on this subject.....

I would like to believe that no one here has intentionally tried to hurt someone’s feelings. We have to remember that we live in a fast pace world and our lives get pretty busy. I know myself I have never tried to intentionally hurt anyone’s feelings; and if I have I apologize. I try to post comments when I can. Some subjects I don’t know much about or haven’t had much experience with or I agree with the others who have commented, so I don’t. I am sure that is how it is for a lot of us. Growing up my Mother always said if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. I try to follow that advice.

Okay as far as the name reference…….Well all I have to say is: I think all women should be treated like Royalty!

P.S. I too quilt in my PJ's

I tried to "like" some of your posts but it said I reached my limit for the day Beings I just came in for lunch and sat down to see what was new, I find it hard to comprehend that I have reached my quota for the day. 

I just want to apologize for not posting or commenting as often as I should.  I will try to be better. 

Well I'm so sorry there's friction in quilterville I really enjoy this forum. So I'm going to help change the mood and I don't think I will be quilting in my jammies anymore.LOL   I was quilting away in my jammies, heard the dog bark and said to myself of my gosh my ruler and books came that I just bought from Debbie.  Couldn't wait excitement to get Karen McTavish books, ran out to get them got to the mail truck only to realize I had my darn PJ's on and no bra!!!!  The girls were loose right there in front of the delivery man. I could have crawled under the truck. Well I won't be going out to get my packages anymore he will need to just leave them by the door. LOL   Hope everything gets better for everyone.

How about forgetting a customer was due and having the oldies cranked up and singing at the top of your lungs when they open the door? My voice leaves a lot to be desired but I am enthusiastic and animated--it was quite a sight (sound?) and I'm sure she'll never forget it!  :blink:

Very well stated Linda.

As for me, I live in an area where there are few long arm quilters. I work 12 hour shifts, different days every week. So, a guild is out. I got my machine about 5 years ago, knowing nothing about what I was doing. This forum has taught me everything I know. In fact, when people ask me, "how did you learn to do that" I tell them that I belong to an online group. That would be all of you. I even find my self referring to you as "my quilting friend".  I very much depend on this forum. Please don't let any of that change. I love that we have princesses and even a few Queens  :D . I could never have done this on my own. The inspiration and knowledge I gain from this forum is priceless, and I am grateful for EVERY post. Often, the posts answer questions I never got around to asking. I did spend some time away from the forum after I lost my daughter. When I came back, I felt every much a part of this group as ever. And I thank you all for that.

Peggy

Very well stated Linda.

As for me, I live in an area where there are few long arm quilters. I work 12 hour shifts, different days every week. So, a guild is out. I got my machine about 5 years ago, knowing nothing about what I was doing. This forum has taught me everything I know. In fact, when people ask me, "how did you learn to do that" I tell them that I belong to an online group. That would be all of you. I even find my self referring to you as "my quilting friend".  I very much depend on this forum. Please don't let any of that change. I love that we have princesses and even a few Queens  :D . I could never have done this on my own. The inspiration and knowledge I gain from this forum is priceless, and I am grateful for EVERY post. Often, the posts answer questions I never got around to asking. I did spend some time away from the forum after I lost my daughter. When I came back, I felt every much a part of this group as ever. And I thank you all for that.

Peggy

Peggy I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter.  I'm glad you are here and glad that we can all connect through this love of quilting that we share.  I am grateful for online groups such as this as there are only four or five people in the county that I know of who have long arms - and none of them have an APQS!  I have learned so much in my short time here and couldn't do this without this group either.  :)

I still have a four letter word spelled J O B!.   I really WANT to be a PJ quilter.

That is the boat I am rowing at the moment, and I am so programmed that I can't even stay in my pj's on Saturday or Sunday!!

I do have a local weekend retreat(Sally Frey's Kenmar Quilt-In at the Scotia Inn, Scotia, CA, we take over the whole inn!)) twice a year that encourages wearing your pj's even until dinnertime if you so choose!!

On the other topic, of princesses and such, I just wish I had the ability that Linda has to get right to the heart of the issue and say it so well. Thank you Linda.

I have had my machine for 4-1/2 years and spent the first 4 pretty much spinning my wheels. Last November I stumbled onto the forum, can't remember what got me here, and I have learned more in the past 3+ months than I did in the first 4 years.

I admit that at first I was very unsure of myself around the long timers who had obviously developed friendships and whose experience outstripped mine by a mile. But I got over it because that is exactly what I was here for-- experience and friendship!

I still haven't posted a single picture--I am not unable to figure how to, I just can't seem to take a decent picture! (I have this problem with my granddaughter too! ). I have finally rigged up a place to hang quilts so soon, I promise. Not that my quilting is that great, but I think we have to share pieces of ourselves to grow in this wonderful and generous community of quilters.

I debated about posting a comment on this subject.....

I would like to believe that no one here has intentionally tried to hurt someone’s feelings. We have to remember that we live in a fast pace world and our lives get pretty busy. I know myself I have never tried to intentionally hurt anyone’s feelings; and if I have I apologize. I try to post comments when I can. Some subjects I don’t know much about or haven’t had much experience with or I agree with the others who have commented, so I don’t. I am sure that is how it is for a lot of us. Growing up my Mother always said if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. I try to follow that advice.

Okay as far as the name reference…….Well all I have to say is: I think all women should be treated like Royalty!

P.S. I too quilt in my PJ's

Oh Liam, you are awesome!

Archived