My first quilt on the long-arm

I was a little disappointed in the final product. I'm used to doing edge to edge, so trying to navigate this one free motion without backtracking was different. I had made this for my Chief who is retiring after 36 years in the Air Force. I'm sure he will like it whether or not the stitches are perfect. I might put a hanging sleeve on the back for him to hang in his house.

8463906568_be01325f70.jpg
First quilt done on my long-arm by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

8463909352_31ee861653.jpg
First quilt done on my long-arm by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

James

Thanks all for the compliments. :blush:  :blush:

I tried to point out my mistakes to my wife this morning, and after a good nights sleep I couldn't find them :huh: That's not to say I didn't make any, I just couldn't remember where they were at. I think what frustrated me the most is that I knew in my head what I wanted to do, but couldn't seem to get it to the machine. Being my first "custom" if that's what you would call it, I just wanted a simple star outline and then the wavy effect on the flag. How complicated is that? I outlined the stars, then I noticed that the background blocks probably needed to be SID. NOT MY FORTE. Then came the waves. I had a stencil that I modified to make the wave (wanted them to be uniform). Trying to mark it was another thing. I couldn't find anything other than a little Dritz chalk bag--doesn't work well and doesn't show up on the tan; so would switch back and forth with marker--because it didn't show up on the red :angry: After the second row I found it to be easier to wing it, but just as in the feathers video I have, if you don't plan your stitch, the waves start to straighten out.

I think you did a great job!  He'll love it and that's what matters.  Always remember, we are our own worst critics.  The most scrutiny any quilt ever has is when we are quilting it.  We are only looking at a small area under a bright light.  What you can't see when you're galloping by on a horse doesn't count! 

Archived