Cube Structure needs quilting ideas

Annie...what a gorgeous top! love your design, fabric choices and color!

my quilting thought:  i am going to steer you away from quilting straight/diagonal lines. here's why. they will only accentuate the lines in the piecing that are NOT straight. i am thinking small ribbon candy, pebbles, small scale curly/curvy designs. save the straight lines for the background...or better yet...use a geometric design in the background. keep the scale small though since this wall hanging is only 30 inches square. there are some awesome designs out there that can easily be reproduced freehand. check out patricia ritter's site http://www.urbanelementz.com and check out 'what's new'. I am thinking something like 'Bauhaus' or 'Take Five' for background ideas! 

can't wait to see what you do with this! it is a great piece. 

Use straight corrugated lines on the outsides of the boxes,  not all top to bottom also left to right.  Then choose a different coloured fill for each colour and do all the insides of the boxes that are the same colour with the same fill.

I'd be inclined to put a circular fill on the blackto give it some texture.

This is great!!  Would it work to have a different fill for each side of the cube...so you would have a total of 6 small fills.  I "see" straight lines on the black, but I would be inclined to follow angles of the cubes and not have them neccesarily be horizontal and vertical.  Have FUN and let us see what you come up with.  :D

Wow, Annie!  Very Impressive quilt design, and the pattern looks challenging in itself!  I love it though!  I would definitely match the thread colors.  Chiming in with the modern filler designs wondering if doing separate designs for each color.   Then for the background, I might just follow the stitching lines of the pieces as in a diagonal cross hatch in black.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Have fun with it!!  Looks like a winning challenge quilt!!  Please be sure to post finished pics!

Great graphical quilt design.  Love your design and congrats on doing something so out of the box. 

This may be an obvious statement, but whether you choose straight lines or curves, different thread colors or the same, your quilting can really be used to further enhance and differentiate the recessed from the non-recessed areas. 

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Anita

Archived