Cube Structure needs quilting ideas

Oh, someone asked about the construction.  It's based on the cube technique found in the One Block Wonder books.  Their third book (One Block Wonder Cubed) describes how to design interlocking cubes like this.

I started with graph paper that has triangles.  It's free on a web site....I'll have to look up that site.  It was one of two referenced in the book.  Then I figured out how to scale it for the size quilt I want.  I made single cubes to that scale and cut them out.  I played with those cutouts like you would to arrange furniture on paper.  Eventually, I had a design I liked, carefully drew it out on the graph paper.  Then enlarged it with the copy machine, not to full size, just enough that I could see the details better.  From that I drew each triangle on paper and paper pieced.  

Yep, it was a lot of work to put it together, and some of the seams are lumpy.  But I enjoyed the process.  

I will definitely post pics when it's quilted.  

Sell the pattern?  Probably not, but I am going to be teaching the technique at the Jackson Hole Quilt Festival this October.  That's a sneak peek of the Festival!  We just settled on the classes earlier this week.  

As I look at this, it seems like there is one large cube that encompasses all the others, and one central perspective, that is, there is a central vertical line demarcating the middle of the largest cube which encompasses all the others. It is in a very defined space, to my eye.  What if, for the background, you played that up, using straight lines for the background to place it in the perspective of it being in a corner?  CLear as mud, right?  Then internally, with all the other cubes, I think you can be more creative with what you choose to do.  

Use straight corrugated lines on the outsides of the boxes,  not all top to bottom also left to right.  Then choose a different coloured fill for each colour and do all the insides of the boxes that are the same colour with the same fill.

I'd be inclined to put a circular fill on the blackto give it some texture.

"Corrugated lines"....would that be two close and the next one further away?  Another name for beadboard?

I'm in awe of your piecing skills.  All those pieced triangles go together perfectly.  Wow.

I wouldn't quilt the blocks heavily, but I'd do a tight fill in the black - probably simple horizontal lines. I'd really want to emphasize the architectural nature of the piece.

You have a great eye Bonnie.   Horizontal lines in the background look awesome!  I don't think I'd have tried it....thank you!

Annie,  I would call corrugated lines the ones where you stitch back and forth but they have slightly rounded ends as you are not trying to SID at the end of each line.  I don't think any one else calls them that, that Is how I refer to them! 

In Australia we have a lot of corrugated iron rooves and where they meet the flashing of the roofline they look sort of rounded!  Hence my calling them corrugated lines.

Archived