Embroidery thread on quilting machine?

Hi... I have ALOT of embroidery thread... has anyone used embroidery thread on their longarm?  I have a Lenni.. If so, what needle and any other settings did you adjust?  I guess I would just use regular polyester bobbin..

Thanks for any advice :)

p.s.  I see I put this in the wrong section (for sale section) but I don't know how to move it. 

I tried it on a couple of lap quilts when I used my DM for quilting.  I had a lot of breakage when I tried to use it; I'm not sure how it would hold up on a longarm. I would try it on a practice sheet first, before trying it on a quilt. Good Luck!

I don't have luck with rayon embroidery thread but poly emb. works in mine.  Rayon embroidery thread is not a strong thread and it doesn't really hold up well to repeated washing and drying. So if I could get it to work in mine, I still would limit it to items that would be seldom washed.  Coats' trilobal polyester embroidery thread that is available at many fabric stores is the same weight as the Glide thread and handles very similarly to Glide as well. But Glide is a much bigger put-up and far cheaper per yardage.  

I have a very big collection of Isacord that I purchased for my Bernina's embroidery machine -- I probably have close to 150 350 cones. I've been using it on my long arm for over two years now and LOVE it. I wash and dry my quilts often and it has held up very nicely. I use a size 16 needle to quilt it with, which is also called a 3.5. I use it in the top and bobbin without any problems. Isacord is polyester and I feel it performs better than the Glide in my machine, as it does not shred on me like Glide wants to (though I really love the look and extra bit of shininess of the Glide!). Not all embroidery thread is created equally (and every machine is different!) so the answer to your question may better lie in what kind of embroidery thread is it you are using or wanting to use? The best thing is to test it out and see if it performs to your liking. If you are wanting a thicker looking thread, Isacord is probably not a thread you would like though as it is rather on the thin, disappearing into the fabric kinda of thread. 

I tried to use my Maderia rayon embroidery thread in the long arm and it just didn't work.  Kept breaking.  But a lot of the long arm thread we use now is also sold as embroidery thread.........It is mostly polyester, I think.   Different machines like different threads for different reasons.  Just trial and error until you find the ones your machine likes best.

I just finished a quilt this afternoon using Rheingold 40 wt. polyester embroidery thread (from Germany).  I used a 4.0 needle, fil-tec premo soft polyester in the bobbin. I bought it online from Tacony, it's also available from Sewing and Craft Club (Nancy's Notions). The thread comes on 5000 meter cones in lots of delicious colours.  It has a really nice finish.

I don't want to repeat what the others said ... but ... what the others said!!  ;)  I just posted about rayon on my blog recently.  I LOVE it for embelishing quilts but I don't trust it to hold a quilt sandwich together.  But, not all embroidery thread is rayon...I use Isacord on my domestic and my long arm and LOVE IT!!  If it's poly I say go for it.  Rayon I'd save for decorative quilting.  I just bought a huge batch of 5000 yard cones of rayon for a peacock quilt I'm working on...but it's a wallhanging so it'll never get washed.

If you're not sure just do the thread break test.  Once you see how easily rayon thread breaks you might not want to use it.  I just imagine sitting on a quilt once that has rayon thread as the main component holding it together and hearing "snnaaaaap" as those threads break!  :)

I love isacord embroidery thread. Did I say love! It performs very well on my machines.

I have some metro embroidery thread but find it rarely gets used. It was very inexpensive, the colors are yummy, but I find it twists and the sheen of the thread is not my preference. Perhaps I should send what I have to you, heidi!

My go to threads however, are superior so fine, bottomline and rainbows! I love them.

I also have lots of specially threads that have a place in certain quilts.

Superior Thread's Bob Purcell has a DVD based on his Threadology; I think you can get it free right now with a purchase or you can view them free on their website. It has a wealth of information about thread applications and the needles for all kinds of threads and which ones cross over from DSM to LongArm and why. They are fairly short sections, but all together I think they are 1.5 hours long. Have fun!

http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/thread-therapy-with-dr-bob-educational-videos/

Archived