Metro versus Glide Thread

I had been planning a purchase of Glide thread as I'd read someone here say it sews up very similarly to Coats and Clark poly embroidery thread...but then I think it was Heidi who mentioned Metro.  I have never heard of Metro - I checked out the site and WOW the prices are really good!!  I see there are mixed feelings as to love it or hate it...can any of you tell me how it compares to Glide?  I'd still like to try some of the magna - bobbins, but I wanted to stock up on some thread colors so I have them and Metro seems like an inexpensive way to start out.

Any advice?  Thoughts?  

I would suggest you get a cone of a neutral color in Glide when you place your order for bobbins.  There is a huge difference in Glide and Metro.  Both have sheen, but Glide is a much more dense thread.  Its also a lot stronger.  While I don't dislike Metro, I prefer Glide.  I have virtually NO thread breaks with Glide...ever.  Superior has a new line called Magnifico that performs very well also.  There is also one called Sigma which is very affordable and is similar in texture, strength and appearance to both Magnifico and Glide.  I can't remember the manufacturer, but do a search on Sigma thread and it will come up.  I have tried using Sigma on a sample only, and it ran very well.  I don't have enough experience to know if it is as problem-free as Glide and Magnifico.

I personally prefer purchasing thread that offers a color card made with the actual thread. Or, I prefer to shop at a local store where I can match color to fabric.   I can't tell you how many times I thought a color I saw on the web was "perfect" only to have it be not even close to what I need in real life. If you have already placed your Metro order, I am sure you will find Metro to be a nice thread. 

Hey thanks for the reply Lynn!!  How did you come to own a cone of Sigma?  The reason I ask is that Sigma IS Metro thread.  From what I have read, it is just made a bit stronger to be used in high speed industrial embroidery machines.  I actually was thinking I would purchase the Sigma thread from the Metro website since I have read so much about thread breaks.  The price is the same.  GOOD to know the thickness is comparable to Glide.  I will still be ordering from Fil Tec because as I want to try those magnet bobbins and they have more colors of bobbin thread.

Thanks so much for the input!

Can I add my 2 cents, I love both Metro and Glide, find it hard to choose between them and can use them one after the other or on the same quilt with out changing my tension at all. I find Metro has slightly more sheen....of course if I lived in the US I'd be singing about how in expensive they are too, they are still a very good option for me even with the added shipping, Vat and customs charges we have to pay to get a delivery here in the UK....but that goes for everything we buy?????

A local longarm supply and Innova dealer is now stocking the Sigma thread, so I picked up a cone  in  a neutral to try.  A few years ago, I purchased a couple cones of Metro at a quilt show, and at the time, there was a big difference between that and the Glide that was introduced a couple years ago.  So, that was my frame of reference on the Metro thread.    The new Sigma line is more like Superior Magnifico, and is different than the cones of Metro I bought before.  I think the introduction of Glide has placed pressure on all of the suppliers to develop a thread that is competitive.  I still find Glide to be a more dense, or maybe more tightly twisted thread with a smoother appearance than the others  and is the one I prefer for applications where I want to see the thread, either because of the color or the sheen. Their variegated verson (Affinity??) is also really nice, but quite pricey. I can use Glide in place of metallic and get satisfactory results without the hassle of metallics.  They have several really nice gold color threads.

I do all my SID with Bottom Line, or So Fine, depending on the quilt.  I don't care for any of the heavier, shiny threads for that purpose.

So, I think you can order the Sigma with confidence.  And, or course...you can't complain about the price, either! I would still suggest you order a cone of Glide to try.  Let us know how you think the threads compare when you get a chance to try them.

Lynn

Just posted this on another "thread"  - check out these free videos on Superior's website; he will cover how threads are made so you understand why they are all different and their attributes. I learned so much about thread on these videos; very educational and a lot more to it than meets the eye. http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/thread-therapy-with-dr-bob-educational-videos/

I just checked out the Metro website, and I see they have a 98 color 1000m. sampler set of the Sigma for like $59.  It is out of stock.  Can anyone familiar with ordering through Metro tell me if they normally offer this sample set of all the colors and that it will be available again?  Just curious before I order some of the colors singly. Thanks, in advance!

Just edited to say, yeah, I know I can call them - hadn't given that a thought before I posted...... :P

I have used metro and glide.  I like them both.  If I had to choose, I would probably pick the glide as it is a little stronger, but for certain applications, I like the metro just as well.  There are a lot of good threads out there now.  I haven't tried the Sigma as of yet.  I just got some Superior magnifico and twist but haven't used them yet.  The twist looks good for thread painting critters.  Saves me running 2 threads as a time for the same effect!

Thanks Merry Jo - and I have to ask, is Merry how your real name is spelled???  That is so cute!!!

The Husband gave me a gift certificate for Superior Threads for Valentines, aren't I lucky?  I already know I really like their rainbows and I have a quilt I want to use it on so I'm ordering some of that...I was wondering what you might use Twist for!!  I'd never thought of thread painting!  I' going to place an order with Metro and Glide...I think there's just no way for me to know for sure until I try it because there are such mixed thoughts.  I really like the shiny colors of the Metro but I'm going to try the Sigma since they say it's stronger.

Thanks so much everyone!  Marci I will be waiting to hear from you and the response you get.  Do you find the small cones useful?  Because it was so inexpensive I thought I'd just buy big cones but I imagine there are a lot of quilts where you just need a little bit of a few colors so those might be nice to have since you can get a whole assortment.  Especially if I'm using a neutral bobbin thread with it.

Valerie I ordered the large cones of Metro that I use most, mostly all neutrals, and then all the colors in the smaller cones.  There is plenty on the small cones to do a quilt.  I also use this thread on my embroidery machine so I love the variety.  I'm curious to hear you report back on the Sigma.  I don't find that Metro ever breaks for me and it seems plenty strong.   

Yup!  Merry Jo is the correct spelling.  Jo is actually my middle name, but I was never called Merry, always Merry Jo.  It's been a source of trouble all my life!  (Always gets mispelled Mary... even on my college diploma...had to have it changed and wait another year for it to be re-printed.)  And I was born in the spring, not on Christmas.  What was my mother thinking!

The Superior Twist was developed as embroidery thread according to Mother Superior.  I asked what was new when I went to the booth at Road to California.  She said it's strong and also runs great on the longarms.  I love to use twists on my embroidery machine, mostly on teddy bears and animals because it gave more of a textured look than solids.  I have run 2 threads at a time on my millie to get the same affect (like an antique gold and brown together) when I'm thread painting.  It gets dense faster with the heavy stitching so I have to be careful when I run 2 treads at the same time.  I think the twist will work great for that purpose.  I also like the rainbows and other varigated threads for thread painting.

Valerie,

I notice that you're ordering some Rainbows thread, thanks to a very sweet husband's Valentine present. :) Just some education for you on your Ultimate I...with Rainbows you'll need to run the tension quite a bit looser, and potentially change the thread path on the 3-hole guide to a "weaving" pattern rather than the standard wrapping pattern. This is because the needle gets hot quickly due to the constant speed of the needle (unlike regulated machines) which can increase its tendency to break.

You may also notice static build up that can affect it, so try rubbing the thread path side of your machine with a dryer sheet to reduce the static cling.

There are so many thread choices out there....it's like being in a candy store!

Yup!  Merry Jo is the correct spelling.  Jo is actually my middle name, but I was never called Merry, always Merry Jo.  It's been a source of trouble all my life!  (Always gets mispelled Mary... even on my college diploma...had to have it changed and wait another year for it to be re-printed.)  And I was born in the spring, not on Christmas.  What was my mother thinking!

The Superior Twist was developed as embroidery thread according to Mother Superior.  I asked what was new when I went to the booth at Road to California.  She said it's strong and also runs great on the longarms.  I love to use twists on my embroidery machine, mostly on teddy bears and animals because it gave more of a textured look than solids.  I have run 2 threads at a time on my millie to get the same affect (like an antique gold and brown together) when I'm thread painting.  It gets dense faster with the heavy stitching so I have to be careful when I run 2 treads at the same time.  I think the twist will work great for that purpose.  I also like the rainbows and other varigated threads for thread painting.

I love the way your Mother spelled your name - hahahaha - I find it hilarious that it wasn't at Christmas either!!  She must have had a sense of humor ;)  I think it's such a cute name though, love it!!!  :)

I never would have thought of running two threads at once...that is really very creative!  This is why I love forums like this.  I'm just not that clever and love to learn these little things that other people do to create the desired effect.  Awesome!!

Valerie,

I notice that you're ordering some Rainbows thread, thanks to a very sweet husband's Valentine present. :) Just some education for you on your Ultimate I...with Rainbows you'll need to run the tension quite a bit looser, and potentially change the thread path on the 3-hole guide to a "weaving" pattern rather than the standard wrapping pattern. This is because the needle gets hot quickly due to the constant speed of the needle (unlike regulated machines) which can increase its tendency to break.

You may also notice static build up that can affect it, so try rubbing the thread path side of your machine with a dryer sheet to reduce the static cling.

There are so many thread choices out there....it's like being in a candy store!

Dawn you are so kind answering all my questions and commenting..I am kind of feeling guilty for having so many questions but am so grateful to all of your for your kindness and willing to share!

I have heard of people having problems with Rainbows...I hope I don't!  I had no idea that the needle actually gets hot...that actually explains a LOT.  I will take your advice about the tension and keep a dryer sheet handy.  I suppose it will be good to experiment so I can get a feel for how it runs and learn how to make these tricky threads work.  Thank you!

Edited to add - Mary spelled MARY - hahaha - I love Isacord thread!!  I didn't think to shop around for it though, I will do that!  My thread experience is limited with the long arm, so far I've used So Fine, Isacord, and some Coats and Clark I had laying around.  Isacord was my favorite.

If you haven't already ordered your Rainbows thread....consider oredering Fantastico (Magnifico variegated) instead.  I have decided not to order Rainbows anymore.  There are threads that are a lot less headache, and produce the same result.  The Glide variegated is wonderful, and the Fantastico runs just as well.  Rainbows....not so much.  I can quilt for two hours and not have a thread issue.  Quit and go upstairs for lunch and when I come back, I can't quilt 2 inches with the stuff.  I have resorted to dumping the whole cone in silicone thread lube, which does help (but it makes the colors look icky for quite some time..though it eventually dries and returns to normal).  I have used Sewer's Aid on the cones, a tuft of batting saturated with Sewer's Aid in the thread guide, changed needles, used fewer holes in the 3 hole guide, reduced top tension, bought a top tension thread guage..and the best solution I have found is to use Affinity or Fantastico instead!!  Just saying....

Archived