Which Software/Hardware is needed to draw on quilts designs

I have seen some posting and discussions about electronically drawing on quilt pictures to see what would look good. I have a basic paint software with a mouse which doesn't work well for drawing. I have a laptop, not other external hardware for drawing.   Can you share what you use and what you like and dislike about it.  Thanks for sharing!

Do you want to use a computer, i-product (iPad, iPhone), Kindle or an Adroid Tablet?  I had a program for my Kindle, but it was a pain. I've just purchased at Samsung 10.1 tablet and am now researching to determine what program is best. This tablet comes with a stylus that actually has a fine point tip.  If you're looking for an app to just practice drawing, Whiteboard is free and easy to use.

All,

Thank you for the quick feed back.

Heidi,

Which tablet do you have? I want to research it. 

Primitive 1

I am thinking IPad for other reason - which "free drawing app" did you download that you like so much.

All, it looks like the IPad is the way to go, because of the picture, free apps, email... capabilities.  The mouse and my computer just not cutting in. Now it is great with the EQ7.

Judith, I'm doing a sampler right now and it's so neat to take a picture of several blocks and doodle on the pictures while watching TV that evening.  Then the next morning I take my tablet to the machine and stitch out my doodle from the Ipad.  I downloaded Drawcast and have learned to really like it.  It's free but I had to buy a stylus for my Ipad.  The program lets you save your projects. Have fun and good luck in your search!

Another alternative is to get a tablet pen and plug it to your regular laptop/desktop. Then you use the pen just like a mouse but it is much easier to draw with it. You simply pull your photo into a paint program or photo editing program and use the stylus to draw on it. Here's one kind of tablet stylus pen from Amazon. They aren't that expensive either. I've tried drawing with my iPad but I prefer using this stylus instead.

I don't think you can use EQ with the ipad.  You also can not watch any video's that use flash player so that excludes uTube videos.  I wish they come up with an app for that!

I have an ipad and watch utube,videos all the time?? Never had a problem...recently I joined QNNTV and some of those videos won't play...they weren't much help at resolving the issue, except to tell me to download a different browser, which didn't help ...

I have an ipad and watch utube,videos all the time?? Never had a problem...recently I joined QNNTV and some of those videos won't play...they weren't much help at resolving the issue, except to tell me to download a different browser, which didn't help ...

Mmmmm now you have me wondering what is going on.  I'll have to take it out and play some more.  I know that I asked one of the guys at work that is a huge iPad user and he told me if the video needed flash player then it wouldn't work.  If you figure out how to watch QNN let me know, nothing I've tired works.

Heidi ,I bought hubby a simple samsung tablet 10.1 and it wouldnt play flash or addobe ,I am not tech smart but I got on my computer and somewhere under utube there was two people one being a young boy of about 12 years old that takes you step by step on how to get around the loops to download it and it worked ,my hubby can now watch utube and has addobe flash installed ,it was fairly easy ,if you need help finding it let me know but it can be done

Heidi, I also watch video on my Ipad with no problems. I don't recall that I had to download anything. (But that doesn't mean I didn't  :rolleyes: ). I love, love, love my Ipad. I didn't know there was a drawing app though. I will have to look for that.

Peggy

I love mine, too, Peggy.

The app I use is sketchbook.

And I didn't even buy the upgrade...so far the free one does everything I need it to.

I have an ipad and downloaded a free drawing app that allows me to either draw and save a picture or take a picture of a quilt, draw ideas for quilting on it and then save it or email it to my computer that will allow me to print it.  Works well for me.

Vicki,

Can you share the name of the free ipad drawing app? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anette

Mmmmm now you have me wondering what is going on.  I'll have to take it out and play some more.  I know that I asked one of the guys at work that is a huge iPad user and he told me if the video needed flash player then it wouldn't work.  If you figure out how to watch QNN let me know, nothing I've tired works.

Heidi, I can successfully watch You Tube videos from my iPad, but I have to minimize the video before starting, then I maximize the video window once the video starts. I was having issues when the video screen was maximized and I hit "play". I would get a black screen and sound but no video...try starting the video with the video window minimized first. As for QNNTV I believe all of their more recent videos are formatted so they are supported for smart devices. It's just the older series that aren't supported. At least this has been my experience. Video content which is supported by Flash Player only cant be viewed on the ipad (technical term???). Hope this helps.

Sorry to get off topic...

I have an IPad and found tha bamboo paper is the best for importing a picture and drawing a design on it. I do wish that thier was a better stylus to use with it. Another alternative is taking plexi glass or the thicker clear plastic from Joann's fabric and a dry eraser, I place over the blocks over the quilt blocks, draw until I like the design, then take a picture with the iPad. I can do this at night and have all the blocks ready when loading the quilt the next day. I have examples but don't know how to post pictures but if you message me I could send them to your email. Remember , make sure you don't get the dry eraser on the quilt. I always mark edges with tape.

I'm with you Judith! I'm in the market and there are so many out there now. I've narrowed down between iPad and the Samsung 10 the other girls are using. I don't live in an area where I can hold the Samsung in my hand; my friends have iPads. Let us know what you come up with.

I have a samsung 10.1 android tablet. I use PicsArt. Its free and can be downloaded from the google play store. I can take pics or import them and then draw on the them. You can insert a shape on the pic or multiple predefined shapes (like templates) and then freehand draw in them. You can save the pic, upload and/or share and print them. And theres lots of other cool options to choose from, too!

Archived