APQS Ultimate II ~Considering a 1999 machine

I am going soon to look at an old 1999 APQS Ultimate II.  Can anyone tell me what kind of features this machine may have.  I wonder if it has any kind of channel locks, bobbin winder, needle positioner, thread cutter or any kind of extras of the day back then.  I haven't found much details out in cyberworld due to the age.  I gather from other postings that it has no stitch regulator and it would be expensive to add aftermarket product, correct?  This would be a step up from my mid arm 9" throat set up.  If at a later date would an old machine have any trade in value? Any insight is welcome. 

Thanks,

k

K, Welcome!  A 1999 machine is not that old.  My machine is 10 years older than that and I've added the Intellistitch stitch regulation to it ($2950).  These machines are built to last and they do. Mine had an on/off button and a dial to change the speed before I upgraded with the I/S.  I don't have info on what a '99 Ulti II has for features, but I wanted to let you know that age is not the issue here, it is how the machine has been maintained.  I'm sure someone on here will chime in as some still have the II.  If, down the road, you decide to upgrade you can easily sell the Ulti II yourself for a decent price - there is a good market for used machines in all price ranges.  Good luck in your decision, and hopefully you'll decide to join the family here!

I have an Ult11 and purchased it used.  It did have an Intellistitch all ready installed.  Depending on the price (most cost between $3-4,000 used) of the machine and condition, it may be something that you should look into.  These machines are work horses and you can still get parts for them should you need something.  It does not have a hopping foot, the foot glides over top the quilt.  You can purchase a 1/4" foot for ruler work.  It does not have channel locks, thread cutter or bobbin winder on the machine.  Some of these machines came with bobbin winders that are separate.  The throat is 20" and depending on the table size (most were the old wooden ones 12') will determine if you can quilt king size quilts.  I have the wood table and I am able to quilt up to 115" wide on it.  The machine you are looking at may have the metal table, which is an upgrade from the old wood ones.  Also, it probably doesn't have a laser light to do panto work...however you can purchase something that you can apply yourself for this.  I got my laser light from Nolting battery operated and I put it on the side of the machine with strong double sided tape.  Also, you may need to upgrade the wheels that run on the carriage, but that is easy to do and not very expensive.

You can trade in the machine for an upgrade, but would get more money to sell privately.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and help you.  There are several other ULT11 owners on this site that can help as well.

Archived