Stitch Length

I will post this again as I do not see it posted.

I have adusted my stitch length to the lowest level 7....but a customer things the stitches look too large.

Is there any thing I can do to reduce the length of the stitches any more? I am using the Stitch Reg. to maintain the size of the stitches.... HELP..........Barb

Hey Barb,

Me being the blonde here, it took me a while to wrap my head around this one, but I have had to learn this, it is backwards. The higher the number, the smaller the stich.

Also, the other one I have to remember when adjusting is this... righty tighty, lefty loosey. But you have to be looking at the tension knob dead on straight for that one to work.

Blessings and hugs,

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

I have never used metallic thread before. I could use some help.

I am doing a table topper that just needs gold-gold-gold on the top thread.

Will I be able to use thread that I can purchase from Joann's or Hancock's for the top thread?

What kind of bobbin thread should I use?

I need LA machine input also. Loose tension on top? Bottom tension?

It's not a big piece but I am looking forward to learning and making it dazzle with lots of gold.

Thanks for the help!

Lynn-Minnesota

Lynn,

Each type and brand of thread may act a little different. I have sucessfully used metallics from Superior threads. I used bottom line in the bobbin, did the "bobbin drop" method of getting bobbin tension (bobbin should drop a few inches easily when holding the tail of thread) and for upper tension I skipped one of the 3 thread holes before going thru the tension disk. I lowered the upper tension-almost a full turn. If possible, make sure the thread comes off the spool smoothly and not twisted. Metallics on the spool, as a general rule, do better vertical than horizontal.

Hope this helps give you a place to start.

Nancy

Minnesota

I have had good luck with Rheingold metallic gold thread and I've used silver with no trouble (but don't know the brand of that), in both cases running them just like any other thread except loosening the tension a little on top and using Bottom Line in the bobbin for a smooth bobbin thread that won't break it.

I have read, though, that if you have trouble with the metallic thread breaking, you can help it along by running it with polyester invisible thread -- both threads through the same needle hole. I've done that, too, and it worked fine and only the gold showed.

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD:D

Archived