Non-quilter needs info about Margit Echols quilt

I'm a guy who knows next to nothing about quilts so I was hoping someone could provide information about this quilt I acquired some years ago. It has a Margit Echols label on it. I've since learned she was well-known in the quilting world, having written several books on quilt design. Along with the quilt were 2 of those books and a signed poster. I've only seen 1 of her quilts for sale. Could this be one of her quilts? It measures 78 inches square and is dark blue with roses. Any information would be appreciated.

post-11782-0-81039200-1360963337_thumb.jpg

I believe these are fabrics from a VIP collection called Remembrance. I owned a quilt shop from 1986 to 1996 so the fabric would be from that era - I'd say the 90's. The fabric was extremely popular and made in several color ways. I now realize I have a book she edited called 50 Country Quilting Projects.   I am anxious to see what other quilters have to say about your find!

Thanks for that info, Lisa. It makes sense, since I believe she died in 1999. I forgot to mention that the previous owner of this quilt actually knew Margit Echols, so it seems likely Echols either gave or sold her one of her quilts, along with a signed poster. Although from what little I could gather she only sold a few that were commissioned and wanted to keep the rest of her creations in her personal collection. If someone made a quilt using one of Echols' patterns, wouldn't they put their own name tag on it and not Margit Echols?

Most likely; they may give credit to the person who created the pattern but usually not. I just usually sign my quilts along with a date and who it was made for. Sometimes a little more information if I feel like it!  You got my curiosity going with this quilt so I searched my fabric stash for it and couldn't find anything. Then I checked out my old photos from quilt markets and found two pictures of quilts made from that fabric; one in a black or navy colorway and one in pastel yellow. Both quilts were different than the one you posted but had the panel print as the center. I couldn't find anything on the internet with that fabric; but I sure had fun with this blast from the past. Thank you for sharing and if you come up with anything else, let us know!

You probably have a quilt made by Margit Echols. Traditionally the maker puts their name on the label. If there isn't more info (like "presented to" or "on the occasion of") it most likely is from her hands.

The value is subjective but have it appraised if you like--and take the signed poster with you to the appraisal. Write down everything the former owner can tell you and keep everything together. Conserve the quilt--the appraiser can tell you about storage methods. It will only accrue value as the years pass--you may want to offer it to a quilt museum later on, or sell it. Twenty years from now this quilt will be of an age that it will represent an era. It looks dated to our eyes now--both the fabric and the colors, but it is era-specific and a great example from a noted contributor to quilting in the 1980's/1990's.

Good luck with your research and thanks for recognizing a treasure.

Thank you both for the additional info. I did get a chuckle though when you said quilts from the 80's/90's were of a different era and seemed dated compared to present-day quilts. I grew up in the 60's/70's, so that would make me...let's see...omg ...ancient. I'm sure I look dated, too, compared to present-day examples. Maybe all I need is a little re-stitching here and there. Lol

• 1 year later...

I am not sure that you'd be checking back on this...  I do think that it is one of her quilts - as the style and geometric patterning makes sense to me in terms of the work that she was doing and the patterning that she did and I've never see a quilt tagged with a name other that the quilters name.

She did a lot of work with straight edge and compass and put together materials for the MET around education and islamic art and tile design... which made it back into her quilts.

She was well-know in a collection of circles - NYC museum scene, art and mathematics, quilters - but I don't knowhow easy it would be to put a price on the quilt you have given how few quilts she would have made for sale.

I cannot add to what has already been said; sounds like you have been given excellent advice.  Looks like you have a treasure there; good luck!  Please let us know eventually what you find out; I am sure everyone will be curious to know.  This kind of situation makes me think about what will happen to the quilts and things some day that I make.  My quilts are  not works of art or anything, except to me.   But perhaps family members, such as grandchildren with fond memories of crafting and sewing with grandma, will snuggle with them and enjoy their warmth and memories someday with their spouses and children.  That would be enough for me.   It is a nice thing to think about.

When, not if, you take it to be appraised, yes, take the poster, but also take the two books.  They would either

add a bit of interest, thus some value, or be a value onto their own.

Good luck, will be awaiting the results of your quest.

Rita

Archived