12 Days of Christmas -applique

I just finished this quilt.  She didn't want any quilting in the applique and McT around it.  I used Dream select and Dream Wool, So Fine on top and BL in the bottom. 

8495934797_be5aaf2b86.jpg
12 Days of Christmas by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8497040076_c0422e8a2d.jpg
12 days drum by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8495937901_7678b36b98.jpg
12 days geese by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8495962829_2b2a8eec6a.jpg
12 birds by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8495945397_a0eabf885e.jpg
12 Days back by LibbyG7, on Flickr

Judith,

That's a design I learned from DeLoa Jones.  It's in her border patrol book.  She does it with two or three feathers, sometimes she adds a curl.  It depends on the size of the sashing for what I use.  I don't do it DeLoa's way, though.  Linda Rech showed how you do the curly spines first, then put the feathers in as you go back along the spine.  So I use a circle to mark the spine, start at the right hand side and sew the spine to the left, when I get there I start making the feathers going back to the right.  You could actually do it the reverse way.  When you do it DeLoa's way she traces back over the spine and I don't like that look because it's very hard to hit it. 

Debbie,

The customer wanted the double batting because she knew it would really puff nicely.  Even if I had stitched it, it still would look nice and puffy, she just didn't want any quilting on it.  When I did the other applique wall hanging that I also posted, that customer didn't care.  You can really tell the difference.

• 9 months later...

Archived