Large applique WH

Hey, CathyH,  WH stands for wall hanging.  I like to try and think of different ways to name the quilts.  This quilt was a pattern made by a guild member, so it doesn't have any name.

Joan,  I practiced the design a little, thought I had it, tried it on a quilt and realized the spine can't go up to the seam.  You need room to do the outside two feathers.  Then when I bought Linda Rech's sashing book, there was the design.  By looking at it carefully, I figured out how to do it better and I was really happy because it's such a nice design.

Thank you everyone for such nice comments.  This forum is the best for helping and encouraging.

Ani,

On the first quilt I did for another member,  I did SID and then I realized that it wasn't really necessary.  If you guilt the feathers close to the end it looks like you did SID and saves A LOT of time.  DeLoa Jones taught me that in one of the first classes I took. 

The problem I had on the first quilt with SID is that the material wasn't all going to the dark side.  So when I did SID it was white on black fabric and I said never again.  So I look closely at the way the material goes when I decide to SID. 

This quilt was also very square.  So I stabilized the big blocks first.  Then only SID around the little white feather sashing just to be sure everything was square.  After that I didn't do any SID.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments.  I love this forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived