Variegated So Fine Thread

Whatever happened to the rumor I heard awhile back that So Fine thread was going to be offered in variegated colors? I don 't see any on superior threads website. I have just started using the solids as a staple thread and love it. What are the main threads you guys are using? I have also discovered a great wholesale source for thread and batting in Minnesota called Country Loft Quilt and Design. Shipping is so much cheaper when you buy local.

Hi Joan, So Fine #40 is variegated. It's a bit thicker than the original #50 weight. At the end of last year I bought a bunch of OMNI and so far am enjoying using it as it hardly ever breaks. Usually I use Isacord, but having some cones of OMNI in stock allows me to offer my customers something a little thicker. I wish the variegated colors of #40 So Fine weren't so expensive as I might like using it more, but even wholesale it's pricey!

Joan,

I almost always use So Fine and BL in the bobbin.  I like the thread and see no reason to change because some thread is cheaper.  We're fortunate with an APQS machine because we can run any thread.  When I was asking Superior Bob about a thread at MQX, he asked what machine I had.  When I said the Millenium, he said I was lucky I could use any kind of thread they had.

I forgot to check the other weights of thread --I only checked #50 wt. Thanks for the tip. Some of my friends didn't think Omni ran very well in their machine; what kind of machine do you have?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Joan, I have a Nolting 24 Pro with an M bobbin. I have to run the TOWA at a little higher reading with the OMNI. I have found I don't like using OMNI is if the batting is thin or if the material is cheap and thin though as the OMNI just seems too "thick" in those cases and I don't like the way it ends up feeling on the fabric. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with it so far.

I find the Omni to be linty, and I only got 41 m on an L bobbin when I would them myself, so don't use it in the bobbin at all.

I was in the So Fine #40 club last year and got all of the colours.  Millie loves it and since the colour changes every inch it is great on many colours.  Pity they don't have it in a variegated pale lavender, could do with that for a quilt coming up.

I bought a few cones of the 40 wt variegated So Fine, but only used it once due to the colors not being right on the quilts I was doing. I like the 50 weight better.

I am personally not a huge fan of variegated thread, but I do have quite a "collection" of cones. Mostly Rainbows, but I no longer like quilting with it. I have a number of other variegated cones, like YLI and about a dozen plus cones of Tut. I don't like quilting with Tut, either. The YLI seemed to run slightly better.

When I run So Fine 50 weight, I have been using Magna Soft pre wound bobbins with it. I have good luck with that combination.

I also use Glide a lot and sometimes Metro and use Magna Glide bobbins with both.

Archived