Bird nest

I am quilting a quilt made by children who colored on muslin for a wall hanging for a new NICU unit. The theme of the unit is "Birds leaving the nest". How would I quilt a nest in each childs drawn block without overpowering their art? I am clueless. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe use thread that matches the color of the muslin--or use invisible thread. Then if you want the nests to show a bit more, very subtly use a beige-y colored pencil to faintly detail the nests.  Did they all draw birds? That would be so cute and thought-provoking for babes headed home after a stay at the NICU.

Pics please! Can't wait to see this one! :wub:

All great ideas, thanks. I think I'm going to use my Quiltazoid and make a stylized birds nest in a thread the color of the muslin as Linda suggested. I also like the idea of the left over thread. I'm not sure I am visualizing that though. I will try to post some pictures when done. (I never have posted pics before, so I guess it's time to give it a try. Thanks for all the inspiration you all give me.

Archived