Amish with a twist 2...

Has anyone quilted this newer bom?  Do any of you have any ideas on quilting?  For money purposes the owner does not want custom. She prefers an allover or very light custom....  I like this quilt in the pictures but up close is a different story.  So since I am not fond of it I seem to be hitting a brick wall on quilting!!!

Thank you for any suggestions or advice!  I value all of your remarks greatly!!!!!

post-3524-0-15486100-1361720470_thumb.jpg

How simple does she want? You could do a basic meander or some other fill everywhere but in the actual star blocks. Do something different in them and maybe CC the inner border with a meander again in the outer. That would be simple, quick and easy. 

What don't you like about this quilt? The pic makes it look very interesting. 

Amy,

I'm not good with design, but I love this quilt.  Instead of a meander I'd just pick a beautiful panto and do an allover.  To me, the overall even look of a panto would appeal to me more.  However, you can offer her the suggestions and see which look she would prefer.

Light custom for me would be to find a nice panto for the center, CC or do another small design in the inner border.  The outer border looks like it might read solid enough to run feathers.  They are fast for me and fairly forgiving.  Bead board or piano keys would also look different and nice, especially if the panto is nice and curvy.  Kinda moves your eye around the quilt.  Just depends on time and what you can justify for her budget.

I would use my Fil-tec favorite thread in the center.  It's called "Penny", #80132, I think.  It's my "go to" thread and blends really well with a multitude of colors.  Kind of reminds me of an antique brass color.  Pretty, but not really eye grabbing.  I would just thread match the border color.

I just had a quilt this week that "screamed" custom to me and the customer wanted panto because she said she wasn't "in love" with her quilt top. So I picked the prettiest panto I had, and she loved it after it was done. I agree with Libby in picking a beautiful panto on this one if she's not willing/able to pay custom. The quilt will still shine through even with an all over.

Amy,

Since the quilt's title is actually "Amish with a twist" you might take this opportunity to practice freehand feathers that cover the entire quilt surface just like a panto.It is busy enough that if you're still in a "learning stage" with feathers it won't show much. Keep them on the larger size, and try an "open plume" feather to keep it casual and not worry about backtracking. Just a thought to play up the theme. :)

Thank you so much everyone!  My first initial thought was overall feathers since it is Amish. 

-now I know I am in the minority with not liking this quilt, but when I look at it (the actual quilt in my hands) it just looks like an old old quilt pieced together with scrap fabric back in the day.  I don't mean to offend anyone with my comments, so please don't take it that way!!!

thank you girls!  I will post when I am finished!!!

Archived