Which is preferred--Hartley Base Expander or other options like Ruler Mate

agh

As I am a newbie, I was wondering which base expander is preferred by most quilters.  The Hartley fence or the Ruler Mate or is there something else out there I don't know about.  What are the pros and cons of each base expander.  Thanks a lot for the information.

Alena

HI alena,

i have both the ruler mate and hartley base expander for my millennium. my preferred base is the ruler mate. i like that it can live on my machine.

i must admit though, the last time i did a thorough cleaning and removed it, i left it off. on the last few quilts i quilted, i didn't use rulers and didn't miss the extended base.

the hartley is nice in that it can easily be slipped on my machine when i want to use rulers. so...if in the middle of a quilting job, i decide i need to use a ruler, i can just slip the hartley on and keep on quilting without having to move the machine to the side, unscrew the needle plate cover, and replace it with the ruler mate. i do however, notice more drag with the hartley base. it tends to drag a bit under the quilt sandwich. i probably should raise my bars just a hair to avoid this. 

did i help you? perhaps not, but i can tell you that the ruler mate is preferred in my book. it sits more flush on my machine and feels more stable! 

Thank you all for your information.  I can see how maybe both might be beneficial.  I now understand a little bit more about both products.  Just did not know a whole lot about either item. I can see how the Hartley base would be helpful if all of a sudden you decided to do some ruler work on a quilt that maybe you had not planned on. 

Thanks again for all the information that this forum provides for all of us newbies.

alena

I do lots of ruler work, and I like the larger Hartley base.  I like that I can slip it on and off easily, and I like the larger size since I often use rulers that are quite large, like Ronda's Rulers for curved cross hatching.  Once the ruler work is done, I like to remove the base for doing the micro-stippling or freehand feathers.  I think you would be happy with either one.

I used to have a Ruler Mate and I liked it.  It was fine, did the job.  But it is a bit of a pain to take it on and off, since you have to unscrew the base and screw on the throatplate.  Still, not a huge deal.  I now have a Hartley base, which I like a lot better.  I can easily slip it on and off, but I rarely take it off.  I've raised my rollers a bit, and the base does not drag.  But they are both very good.

I have both bases and like each for a different reason.  The hartley base is much easier to take on and off and it is wider than the Rulermate base.  I like to use my micro handles a lot so the Hartley base works best with those because it is just a little wider but makes a big difference where my hands can rest.  The Rulermate is more stable and I like that behind the foot is one smooth surface.  

I have a Husband Made Base, that slips on and off easily, similar to the Hartley Base.  It is 15" x 18".  I love that I can slip it on or off if the mood for ruler work strikes!

Because I regularly take my needle plate off to clean underneath it,  I think the Rulermate would  not suit my style of machine cleaning.

I have both bases and use both. If I am starting a quilt that I know I will be doing a lot of ruler work on, I attach the Ruler Mate. It is very stable and I really like it. If I will be doing just "some" ruler work on a quilt, I will just use the Hartley base and put it on/take it off as needed, rather than have the additional bulk to drag along. Since I do lots of pantos and pattern board quilting, I usually remove the bases and just use the small plate that came with my machine. So, using an extended base and which one, all depends on the type of quilting I will be doing.

• 1 year later...

My 'new-used' Millie came with a Hartley extended base, and when I try to use it, the rulers wobble.  I discovered that the Hartley base is not flat/even with the base of the machine.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks so much,

Bon

I love my Hartley base!  I don't have a ruler mate but would like one eventually.  However - I have to say, being able to take off the acrylic base is wonderful...it is heavy and does ad a bit of drag or lag so I take it off for feathers and fillers that I want easier movement for...but I like to slip it on to do maybe, just minimal stitch in the ditch, then fillers for the rest of the quilt.  For that reason it is wonderful.

Sometimes people talk about the ruler mate  being smaller than the Hartely base...not having any experience with the ruler mate personally...I can say that I rarely use rulers longer or larger than 12" on it.  My longest ruler is the 12/13" arc I recently purchased...I use the center portion with my hand holding it down...then as the base moves under the ruler I scoot my had pressure to the most secure area of the base...keeping the ruler still, just moving my hand pressure.  I bought a larger ruler from Gadget Girls - one of the rulers for making rays...it wasn't cheap either...it turns out I use it more for marking than actually moving my long arm against because it is just to big.  I avoid using large rulers at all - if that helps or makes any difference in your decision.  ;)

Thanks Nigel for your response.  I took out the white plastic caps - which are not the problem!  The back of the Hartley extender has a lip on each side, it lines up with the front bases for the thread cutter and needle/bobbin base - they are higher than the back .

I think I will call APQS to see what they suggest. 

Bon

I sold my Hartley base few months after I got my Millie, remove the thread cutter for good & been using my ruler mate ever since. Less drag with all those weight taken off. I leave it on all the time, it allows me to do ruler work, freehand & computer work, I love it, it's very stable and lightweight more so after thread cutter was remove

I would unscrew it to clean the area then put it right back. I

• 1 month later...

Archived