How do YOU organize........

I keep my piecing books separate from my books for quilting ideas.  The books are organized by type of quilting -- piecing, applique, paper piecing, etc. then alphabetical by author and title.  My long arm books are organized in the same way.  I can find a book that I am looking for in a matter of minutes.  Also, my single quilt patterns (in those little clear bags) are organized the same way in a binder.  They are all in plastic sleeves, so it makes it really easy to find what you are looking for and you can also see the instructions without having to open the bag, unfold the pattern and shove it back in the clear bag when you are done.

Have fun organizing your books!

Mary Rinehart (?) of Eureka has a great program for organizing books. pantos, etc. although it isn't as well known as her quilter's business manager program.  As a former librarian, I love it!  Books are catalogued by author and as many subjects as you like -- best not to use too many, though.  If you number the books, and enter that number into the program, you can retrieve the information and find any book (or other tool) you want in very short order.   

Well, I think Ardelle was the most "help" with this. I'm LOL at the rest of you (us!) My labeller has been getting a real workout lately, so maybe that's what I'll do................but wait! By Title, by Author, or by Technique? And what about the ones with mixed techniques?? Oh rats! This is a vicious circle!

I've been watching too many youtube videos on organizing and now I'm getting a bit obsessed with it! Well, maybe not as obsessed as this gal! I did go out and buy matching binders today tho'. Just couldn't bring myself to buy one of each pretty color like she did. Then they wouldn't match my sewing room! ROFLOL!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HomeOrganizing?feature=g-user-u

LOL! I would have posted something witty too, but could not think of anything.....

As I was reading this post tonight I remembered that when I was organizing my books (when I moved into my new studio), I layed the books out in piles on the floor in groups that made some sense, then started combining piles till I had a reasonable amount of categories.....

I have most of my quilting books in two tall bookcases in my "studio," aka, basement. I bought magazine holders (just the cardboard ones) fro Ikea and put "like" books in them. I then labeled the front of the mag holders to help with the organization. I have several bins of Thimbleberries, several bins of Eleanor Burns, but most of the rest are labeled with titles such as Christmas, Other Holidays, Babies, Amish and Gees Bend, Memory Quilts and Tee Shirt Quilts, scrappy Quilts, Modern Quilts, Lomgarm Techniques and Designs. I have numerous shelves that are not really organized, too, where I have miscellaneous books.

My magazines are not organized at all. Shame on me, but the good news is that I enjoy going through them years later and they seem new to me.

I also have a few large binders of quilt patterns and quilting designs that I printed out from the Internet.

If I had more space I could organize everything better! At least that is what I tell myself and my husband. :)

I am so disorganised...  I just put mine on my shelves in order of size....  ie the large books on the left the small books on the right, I cant have a tiny book mixed up with the large ones...  although I am slightly organised, in that all of my magazines are in magazine boxes by magazine title, and all of my japanese books are together....  LOL  everything else is by size....

I was thinking about this post and how unorganized I am and then remember that at one time years ago we had this guy in our guild that put all his publications in a Lotus 1-2-3 file which would be Excel now. Maybe if I made a spread sheet and just put the title, author and technique, I would know what I have. Now I'm completely lost! LOL

I organize my library mostly by type and technique, miniature quilts, binding & borders, long arm are in their own special section.  I group national teachers in their own section.  For magazines I use those plastic bins and label the outside "Quilter's Newsletter" etc. and stack them in order by date.  If there is a particular must make that some day project I fold the magazine so that picture becomes my cover.  Helps to remind me I really want to make that.  

If I have begun to purchase fabric for a project in a book I place the book inside the plastic bin with the fabric. 

I like the idea of adding labels to the shelves for different sections!

I have mine on the shelves alphbetically by title but I also have a spreadsheet set up that I try very hard to enter any new aquisitions before they get lost on the shelves. I can then sorf by title, author, publisher, technique, or the speicial reason I bought the book in the first place. Then depending on how I "remember" why I want that particular book I can find it and then know the title to look for.

On a side note, I also enter on the spreadsheet what I spent on the book or pattern, now THAT'S really scary. Shockingly, I own over 400 books. Yikes!!

Archived