Trying to add photo to avatar

Tella, if you have Paint, you can right click on your photo, click on Open With, and choose Paint, or if you have MS Office you can choose Office Picture Manager.  From there, choose to resize.  You'll have to size way down to like 320 x 480 or the such so it is small enough for a profile pic. Save it under 'Save As' as a different name, that way you still have the original if you have to make it smaller yet.

Marci, I too am having a terrible time with my avatar!  I tried going to paint, but no "resize" is there.  I looked everywhere !  I've been trying to get a pic up for months now, about ready to just give  up on it!  Wish I was more tecky!  ha!

Everyone has different ways to do this, but this is my way and it is easy.  Copy and paste these instructions into a Word program or something so you can print them out and have them beside you. 

I use a program called “Irfanview”.  It is a free program that I have used for over 15 years and it is very user friendly and safe.  Go online to www.irfanview.com and download it to your computer and install it.  You will get familiar with this program and use it a lot.

Once you have it installed it will put a short cut on your desktop that looks like a little flat red cat or something.  I don’t know what it is, but I think it’s cute.

Double click on the shortcut and the program will open.  It’s a very basic program. 

Look up in the upper left corner and click on “file”…then “open”…then go to where your picture is and double click on your picture and it will open up in Irfanview.

Once your picture is there go back up to the top and click on “image”…then click on “resize/resample”…this will open a box for you to choose your size.  It defaults to pixels I think, but it can be changed to inches.  Anyway…look on the right side and it should say “640 x 480” with a little circle you can click on.  Click on it.  Then tell it “ok”. 

Go to “file”…”save as”…and save your picture to somewhere you can find again.  I usually like to add an “r” to the end of the picture name so that it tells me the picture has been resized.

Now, open the APQS forum…click on the little arrow beside your name…click on “My Profile”…click on “Edit my profile”…click on “change my picture”…click on “Use a custom photo” and “Browse”. 

Find your picture…click on it and it should list it in the box and show it to you.   Sometimes it says it failed and if it does then just repeat finding the picture and clicking it again.  You can “crop” your pic to suit you, but for now I would say just get the picture there.  Click on “Done”

That should be it.  I hope this works for all of you.  :)

Archived