Posting pains

cathyh

I have had this problem a number of times and wonder what I am doing wrong....

I have written practically an epic response and want to remember who said what but there are more than one page of responses and the one I am looking for is on page "x" and I am on page "y".

Well, I go to page "x" and then back to page "y", and my response is gone... "grrrr" I then exit the forum!!

I shouldn't get so upset but I had a hard time getting my thoughts together well enough to post in the first place and then to have what i have written go away...

Is there a proper way to do this or should I take notes before I post?

When this happens to me (a lot!) I finish my thoughts, leaving out the name or info about the previous posting. I hit "Post", scroll back to find the name or info I'm missing, and edit the post adding the name. The only other way I can think of to bypass this is to minimize the original screen and open another window at APQS. Find your missing info, close the second window and re-open the original. That will allow you to add information before you post your reply. I've done that a few times too! ;)

Maybe someone with better computer skills than I have will offer a good solution.

Boy do I ever hear both of you. I just wrote out very explicit instructions on how to get your picture in your avatar and I wanted to check what actually came up when you clicked on "My Profile" and dang if it didn't erase EVERYTHING I had written. AAACCCKKK!!!! And I knew it would do that...I just wasn't paying attention. I may have to wait a few minutes to see if I want to try that again or write it in Word and cut and paste here...duh!

Another thing I really don't like is NOT being able to delete our posts if we want. We should be able to delete our own post. It's not a big thing just something I think we should be able to do.

Ok, rant over. I'll work on the instructions again.

yup, very frustrating at times.  This has happened to me several times.  It would be nice to have a save button so you would not loose all your info. before you post.  And yes, it would be nice to be able to delete your own posts.  I'm thinking you could just delete all words in your post (for whatever reason), make  a corrected statement in the message and post again.  Can you edit the title of the post?  Never tried that one.  I think sometimes we all have responded too quickly and then had second thoughts later. Everyone enjoy your Sunday!  Dang it is still really cold here in Ohio.  I am really wishing for spring!

One thing I've gotten used to doing when I know it will be a long post or one that might require me to go back and forth is to start it in Word and then when it is in good shape I copy and paste it to post.  That way I can take my time and make sure I get it all right.  So frustrating when you lose your work.  I have a new program at work that is a royal pain.  If you hit your mouse out of the box area for your comment you lose the entire comment and have to start all over.  Thankfully the forum isn't that sensitive.  

I have had this problem a number of times and wonder what I am doing wrong....

I have written practically an epic response and want to remember who said what but there are more than one page of responses and the one I am looking for is on page "x" and I am on page "y".

Well, I go to page "x" and then back to page "y", and my response is gone... "grrrr" I then exit the forum!!

I shouldn't get so upset but I had a hard time getting my thoughts together well enough to post in the first place and then to have what i have written go away...

Is there a proper way to do this or should I take notes before I post?

Next time you want to do this go to the post to which you want to reply and hit the quote button....this brings up a reply window with the original post in it.....you can then delete any parts of the original post that you don't want to repeat and then tab down like this to enter you reply.... 

HTH

Great suggestions, all of you, thanks so much!!

I mostly post on my iPad because my home laptop is ancient and very slow (I am due for another one if I could just stop spending on fabric, long arm tools, and crafty classes!) but I don't have a word processor . However, I can easily open another Internet page so I will definitely try that when posting from the iPad.

When I am on my pc I will definitely use Word if I have a lot to say! LOL

That is a good idea Rita, I will try that.  I have finally learned to open multiple windows when I am working in other parts of the internet.

Kay,   I put a lot of thought in my response, liked what I had written, cannot remember what I had written before it disappeared and just quilt.  It seems my brain is full of holes these days!

Archived