Alternative to Glide - cotton or cotton look

I'm in the process of ordering thread.  I've ordered a small sampler of the glide thread, and now I want to have some low sheen or finer thread for customers who prefer the cotton or cotton look.  What are your go to brands of thread for this? 

I drive a Millenium.... 

Andrea

So Fine runs great on my machine and looks just like cotton. I use it on top and in the bobbin.   Superior sells it in 50 weight (for most quilting) or 30 weight if you want a thicker look.  Their 40 weight So Fine comes in variegated colors.  Try it, you'll like it!

Has anyone ever tried a thread from Connecting Threads called Essential PRO, either the poly cones (70/3) or the cotton (50/3) for the LA?  I order fabric from them and have been very happy with the quality of the fabric but haven't ever used the thread.  It is so inexpensive!  I have a friend that uses the essential pro cotton for piecing and loves it, very low lint, but I haven't tried it yet.  Haven't heard of anyone with a LA who has used it.  Since my machine will be delivered (YAYYY!) on Thursday, I am looking to stock up on some thread.  So my question goes along with the one above.  I hope you don't mind,  Andrea, that I jumped in here.  

I think I remember a topic a while back regarding the inexpensive thread from connecting threads.

If I recall properly, it was not a good review.

Try a search to see if you can find it.

My go to is also SoFine for cotton look.

Rainbows is what I put on batiks.

Bottom line on the top for areas I don't want the thread to show.

And magna glide bobbins almost always.

Hi,

I just bought a longarm sampler pack of threads from superior (about six kinds I think including bottom line, so fine, Lava, rainbow, so fine 40, omni, and magnifico) and also I got some of the So Fine 30 as they are having a special on it..I got some Aurfil and Glide with my machine...I have some YLI, King Tut, Signiture, and Quilter's choice...so I have a variety.  I so far have used the Glide in my practice and like it.  I was planning on changing over to the Aurfil today and seeing how that goes...so I think I will play on my practice muslin and change threads every now and then.  It will give me a chance to try them and also I think...to play with tension  (not my idea of fun there...but..hey...I have to learn sometime).  bummer....I was planning on getting that practice in earlier...but got my income tax stuff together first...as always...took longer than planned...hope to get some practice in...but the lighting is not really too good down there after the sun goes down...well..tomorrow may be a better day.  Lin

When I first got my long arm, I tried so many different threads until I found the ones that work best with my machine.   I love King Tut, but my machine does not !   Anyway, I took a blank fabric sandwich and made stitch outs using each thread - made a note of the tension settings, needle size, bobbin used.   I would actually stitch out the name of the thread...........Glide, So Fine, etc.    Then I could not only compare samples but could also see how each looked when stitched.  Thick threads, thin threads, shiny, matte, etc.    I have narrowed my threads down to Superior:   So Fine (all of them), Omni, Magnifico, Lava......bottom line for pre wound bobbins.    I also love Fil Tec's Glide and Affinity.  Their magnetic bobbins are great, but I wish they came in more colors in the Classic.   I have used Isacord and Metro.........they work OK, but the others are my favorites and the ones I have the best luck with.   So, your idea to get a sampler and try different ones is a good idea.   Sometimes you want a fine thread that doesn't show much and other times you want a thicker thread.   For the threads I didn't like in my long arm, I use them up in my DSM !   

Re: tension settings on the long arm........since there are no numbers to go by, I would measure the distance from the side of the machine out to the edge of the "nut".   That's works pretty well.   Lately, I have found I rarely change my tension setting.....maybe only a 1/2 turn one way or the other....... use a 4.0 needle 99% of the time and get along fine.  I try to stitch up and down the outer edge of my quilt with a scrap of the same fabric and check the tension before actually working on the quilt itself.    So far, so good!    

By the way.........Most of these hints I have learned from people here on this forum and through trial and error of my own.    Have fun !!!!

Has anyone ever tried a thread from Connecting Threads called Essential PRO, either the poly cones (70/3) or the cotton (50/3) for the LA? I order fabric from them and have been very happy with the quality of the fabric but haven't ever used the thread. It is so inexpensive! I have a friend that uses the essential pro cotton for piecing and loves it, very low lint, but I haven't tried it yet. Haven't heard of anyone with a LA who has used it. Since my machine will be delivered (YAYYY!) on Thursday, I am looking to stock up on some thread. So my question goes along with the one above. I hope you don't mind, Andrea, that I jumped in here.

I have used Connecting Threads Esstenial and it has worked fine for me. It did seem to have a bit more lint than Omni, but I am thinking the weight is about the same. I would purchase one or two spools and see how it works in your machine before investing alot of money. Some machines just don't like certain types of threads and it would be a shame for you to have a whole lot of one type that your machine doesn't play well with.

Not at all Laura -  I'm looking to stock up as well.   My problem is that the shipping is outrageous from US to Canada. If I was to buy ONE cone of thread, the shipping would be outrageous and as much as buying a dozen or so cones of thread.  

Tristan Threads in Richmond (Vancouver), BC still has some 40 wt. and 50 wt. spools of cotton Aurifil thread on clear-out.  She has packages of 12 - 1000 m spools for less than $50.00 retail.  I have been piecing with Aurifil for 10 years and love it.  I also use it in my APQS Lucey with no issues.  Fil-tec has a spun polyester thread that looks like cotton, it is great.  All the Superior threads are excellent but shipping to Canada is expensive.  If you sign up for one of Superior's Thread Club of the Month you can add additional items to the monthly order and save a bit on shipping.

Here is the contact info for Tristan  1.800.847.3230 or sales@tristan.bc.ca

Bytowne Threads in Ottawa also carries Aurifil.

Archived