Quilter's Dream Batting

Just called to set up an account with Quilter's Dream.  I'm going to try their batting out as I've heard such wonderful things.  For those of you who've used it, what's your favorite blend?  I was thinking the cotton/poly?  I'm buying for customers but also want to try this batting for myself.  I thought maybe customers wouldn't shy away from the little bit of poly in it, but I'd still get the nice definition to highlight the quilting I do.

Does it compare to Hobbs 80/20?

I use lots of quilter's dream products and love them.  I also like Hobbs, Air Lite, Winline to name a few.  I was using the Pellon Legacy because I could get it from a local distributor and save on shipping.  I found a lot of inconsistencies in the product.  I talked to a factory rep. at Road, and they are aware of the problems and dealing with it.  I will give them another try.  I liked the fact that I could get 10 yd "boards" of some of the batts I keep on hand, but don't get as many requests for as the storage issue was much better!

I've stopped using the Hobbs 80/20. I use exclusively Quilters Dream battings.  My 'go to' is the Cotton select but I have used their cotton/poly which I prefer to the Hobbs equivalent.  I prefer the way QD battings handle, drape and wash. I had to wash a kingsize quilt with the QD wool batting recently thanks to my cat upchucking!  No visible shrinkage and it came out of the wash looking as good as it went in.

HTH

I like Quilter's Dream and actually keep their Angel in stock for baby/children/eldery quilts for those customers who rather this than the 100% cotton.

Pellon Legacy is still a wonderful brand - for only being in the batting business for about 4 years they realize there have been "bumps" along the way and are working hard to keep their products consistent yet the price reasonable.  I wouldn't sell and promote this for my long arm business if I wasn't confindent in their products as my reputation as a long arm quilter depends on quality products. I'm proud to be a Pellon gal and am looking forward to working at the Pellon booth at the AQS show next week in Lancaster. I can't wait to take some long arm classes with Linda Theilfoldt of The Quilted Goose in Michigan who I know also likes Pellon batting. Heck, I'm just looking forward to a big quilt show!:)

I use only QD batting in my personal quilts. My favorites are the wool and the 100% cotton, followed by the blend. I also like the Green batting, especially the price, the Puff it great for definition and light weight warmth; the Angel is very nice, too. I guess I just like all of their products. I've never been unhappy with anything from them. Also, their customer service it fantastic.

I carry all of the QD Battings and have used them all. Hands down favorite is the wool. Love that stuff and so do my customers. The blend is my least favorite. It is flat and stiff IMO.

Love the company, they are very small business friendly.

Do any of you who use wool have skin allergies to wool? 

How do you do with this wool, or will I have to wear long sleeves and gloves?

Don't want skin and blood from scratching to get on the quilt, no matter who's the owner.

Thanks Rita

Hey guess what?  My QD samples came in already!  Holy cow that was fast.  I'm super impressed.  I'm the type that'll pay more for great service and product.  Really happy so far.

Anyhow the two I'm really liking are the Poly Deluxe and the Wool.  Now that I see it and feel them all compared to each other I think I'd have been unhappy with the low loft of that poly/cotton blend.  I like batt with a bit of loft.

Thank you all for your input!

I love ALL of Quilter's Dream battings!!  They are the only battings I buy.  I like them much better than any of the other brands.

Dream Angel  - for all baby and elderly quilts

Dream Green and Dream Poly are both very nice battings.

Dream Blend is also great, as well as the Dream Cottons, Wool, Puff, and Orient.  All of them are really nice... but, my personal favorites are Dream Angel, Dream Green, the Dream Cottons.

When discussing the warmth of the battings with one of QD staff, this is how she rated the battings based on Warmth, from most warm to least warm:

D Wool

D Orient ( Iused this on one of my own quilts, it is very nice.)

D Puff

D Blend

D Poly and D Green

D Cottons (3 weights) and D Angel

I carry all of the QD Battings and have used them all. Hands down favorite is the wool. Love that stuff and so do my customers. The blend is my least favorite. It is flat and stiff IMO.

Love the company, they are very small business friendly.

I agree with everything Gretchen said. I was surprised and disappointed by how thin, dense and flat the 70/30 is -- it might as well be the QD Poly; I expected more loft; I should probably ask them, but I don't understand why it is so dense, almost like cardboard. Perhaps it changes in the wash. The only thing to add is that my customers absolutely love the Green -- it is very soft and somewhat thick, but not too dense.

Joan, after receiving the samples I'm really bummed about the 70/30 too!  I was hoping it'd be more lofty like Hobbs 80/20.  It's probably my least favorite of all of them.

I have to say though, I'm super happy so far.  They have been super friendly and FAST!  I like too that they don't have a minimum...I'm just starting out and it might be years before I can reach some of the minimums some of the places want...if I am so lucky to get that much business ever!!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to quilt a wall hanging.  Can anyone tell me how well Quilters Dream Poly Deluxe will quilt up, quilt definition and stiffness.  I will probably be doing a lot of quilting in it, some McTavishing and Pebbles.  I don't care if it's stiff, my main concern is for it to show good stitch definition.  Or would it be better for me to use a different batting, or maybe less quilting?

I've used the cotton, poly select, wool, and puff.  I really like all the ones I've tried so far.

Archived