Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum!

I have had this iron http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Stiromeglio-Compact-Ironing-Pressurized/dp/B000B76MEA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362774762&sr=8-4&keywords=steam+generator+irons for several years.  It makes ironing much easier as it produces a lot of steam and gets nice and hot.  When I bought mine it came with a three year warranty, I don't know if that is still true.  The down side is that it does take up room on the ironing board and it does take about ten minutes to heat up.  It does not turn off if left unused so once it is heated up it stays that way until it is unplugged.  When this one dies I would buy another, I won't go back to regular irons.  One brand to avoid is Rowenta as they almost all seem to leak.  I had a couple both of which leaked and one went up in flames while I was using it.  There have been several discussions about irons so try doing a search and see what you turn up.

I am friends with a lady who does a lot of utube tutorials and she has worn out several. Her advice to me was to go the Lowe's Home Improvement Center. She tells me irons there are much less expensive and they carry the kind that last. I can't remember the brand. Wish I could. Guess it's the age thing. Anyway, if it's the same thing at a lower cost, might be worth looking at.

I have a dry iron, not holes in the plate. I got it from Vermont Country Store. I find that the ones that put the water in tend to leak. Since I am one of those people that knocks the iron off the ironing board on the floor investing a lot of money isn't a good thing for me.

Good luck.  I hope you find one that does what you want it to do and let us know what kind you got.  Good luck.

I have a Continental Dry Iron and I love it. I purchased it from Amazona ( http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Electric-CP43001-Classic-Iron/dp/B000VU9T74/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362786229&sr=8-2&keywords=continental+iron ). I haven't really found any steam irons that I like but I've never tried one with the steam generator separate from the iron itself. I have given up on Rowenta, EuroSteam, Shark, Oliso, and several others. I am going to stay with less expensive irons from now on. The expensive ones don't seem to last in my home.

I, like Charlotte, have the dry iron from the Vermont country store.

It doesn't have auto shut off, solid plate and it gets hot enough for me.

I've had 3 Rowentas, I black and decker and 1 oliso.

I'm done spending wads of money on irons.

Thread and fabric are much more fun to waste money on.

When my dry iron wears out, well, I can replace it 8 times for the price I used to pay for those 'name brands'.

I've got a Rowenta Steam generator.  Tank sits on the floor, so I don't have to lift the weight of the water.  Extra long cord too.  Yes, it was expensive, but has lasted me for many years now.  I did have to send it back the factory about 6 months ago, thought I'd die until it came back.  I even bought another Rowenta at a garage sale during the time I was without mine.  Love, love, love it!

My first Rowent wasn't bad, my second one wasn't as good, my third was my last.  I would not recomment Rowenta.  The steam doesn't produce as well as it should and the sole plate has gotten terribly discolored.  For the high price it's just not worth it.

I have used gravity feed irons for about 12 years now.  My first one was a 'Star' brand and it lasted 10 years.  Two years ago I purchased a new one from Cleaners Supply.  Not sure of the brand, but it was about $100 with the water tank.   The thing about these irons is that the water stays in a resevoir hanging on the wall, and the water only enters the iron when you press the button and as soon as it hits the iron it disperses into steam.  No water sits in the iron causing it to gum up.   The iron is small, heavy (so you don't have to press hard) and gets very hot.   I highly recommend them!

Reliable velocity V50; it has lots of steam, doesnt spit, has an automatic shut-off that you can over-ride. Its a little on the heavy side, tho.

I am not able to over-ride the automatic shut off on my Reliable Velocity. I have tried many times and it can't be done. No one in class a couple of weeks ago at the LQS could over-ride the Reliable Velocity the store gave us to use. I'm wondering if only the newer ones have this feature. Mine is about 3 years old.

I wish I could find a good one too, right now I am just using a Sunbeam that I got at Costco for about $35.00.  I too returned several Rowenta's, so spending alot does not always make a good iron...I wish that Dyson would make a good iron!

This is my current iron also, and I like it. I have bought too my Rowentss to count and they lasted about a year before spitting and leaking, not shutting off or shutting off too soon, etc etc... I now go for the cheap ones!

Don't like Shark brand though.

I like the auto shut off, although now I could probably do without because when I leave my room, I turn off the light switch that controls the plug. In the past I was famous for leaving the iron on, SCARY!!

My current pet peeve is not being able to see the water line when filling--- why oh why do the makers make this so hard??

I am not able to over-ride the automatic shut off on my Reliable Velocity. I have tried many times and it can't be done. No one in class a couple of weeks ago at the LQS could over-ride the Reliable Velocity the store gave us to use. I'm wondering if only the newer ones have this feature. Mine is about 3 years old.

Hold down the left steam button with your thumb for a whole 8 seconds; the low/medium/high buttons will flash three times to let you know the auto shut-off has been disabled. Then you have to unplug the iron to shut it off.

I have the Reliable Velocity and the Reliable steam generator with the separate water tank.  I love both.  The Velocity if much heavier than the other (use this one most often for pressing customer quilt backs).  The steam generator does not auto shut off and I only turn the steam on when I need it (love it for piecing).  The steam generator was expensive but worth every penny.

Which model do you have, Lucy?  I have the Reliable i300 steam generator iron.  I absolutely love it!  The large tank takes up a lot of space so I keep it on a stack of drawers NEXT TO my ironing board.  It takes awhile to heat up but only has to be refilled a couple times a month.  It has no auto shut off which I appreciate.  It stays hot, makes a lot of steam and in 5 years has NEVER spit up on my fabric.  After countless other irons failed me, I am truly grateful for this one.   Nancy in Tucson

I second the idea of going to Lowe's.  We were there several months ago and stumbled across their iron display...who knew?  My then current iron's Teflon coating was coming off on fabrics YUCK so I bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master with uncoated plate at a very good price. It works fine, has a more traditional shape/feel, lots of steam when I want steam, no sputter (I always use distilled water) and didn't cost a fortune.

Angela:

You could phone Reliable and ask for Luigi.  He is the technician for the i300 and probably for the i500's as well.  He has talked me through one repair on the phone so that I didn't have to ship my iron back to him (in Canada).  I'll bet he could answer your question about a longer cord (which is the tube that the steam travels through).  Mine measures about 70 inches from the tank to the iron head.  Hope this helps.  Nancy in Tucson

Hi,

I have a Rowenta Professional with a three pronged plug that I got years ago.  It works just fine...I have used just tap water in it and it does not sputter.  But....we have fairly good water up here without much mineral content and that may make a difference.  I was re-reading the instuctions that came with it and it said specifically not to use distilled water as it was meant to use tap water.  As tap water quality really does vary from place to place, that may explain why some folks have problems while others do not.  I recently did purchase a new Rowenta as my old one is starting to look pretty beat up and I have been waiting for a while now for it to give up the ghost...but it does not....but when it does, I am ready with the newer one...that may not be as reliable and trouble free per other folks experience.  Lin

I used an inexpensive iron for many years.  When my friend introduced me to quilting, I bought, on her advice, a Rowenta.  Since then I have had THREE Rowentas (I know, I'm a slow learner).  All spit and leaked - not when brand new, but shortly thereafter.  I read all the directions, and tried to be a good iron owner, but apparently, I failed.  

Based on some threads on this forum a couple of years ago (well, maybe it was longer than a couple of year - you know how time flies when you are having fun), I bought a EuroSteam.  

The good thing is that it NEVER SPITS OR LEAKS.  It also irons everything FLAT.  You get as much steam as you need to do a great job.

The bad thing is that since it has an internal boiler, you have to turn it on a bit before you need it, and if you are generous with your shots of steam, it runs out of water and you have to stop and refill it, and let it heat up again.

But I really like it.  You can use it as a dry iron when that is all that is needed, but when you really need a shot of steam, it is there with the press of a convenient button.

I don't do much ironing of clothing anymore, but if you really need to press a pair of pants, or steam press a difficult interfacing during garment construction, this iron rocks.