Well seems this would be a good place to hear opnions on what you like for a vacuum cleaner. I dread looking for a new one and the one I have is an upright that use to have power drive but have replace the belts and doesn't seem to be the cause of why the brush or the drive don't work and husband refuses to try and fix it . He wants a canister and I like the upright but at this point I just want one that lasts more than two years. What are some recommendations out there?

I have a Dyson animal with the ball. So easy to maneuver. I also have a shark that has a removable canister, which is really nice for doing stairs. You don't have to lug the whole machine. It probably cleans every bit as well as my Dyson for less than half the price, but isn't as sturdy and stable. I really like them both.

I have had a dyson for 5 years.

I can't say I like it - I have never liked to vacuum.

But it does work very well.

It has never given me any trouble.

I have a dog, a cat, a long arm and a husband.

Until recently, I had my son, too. (Slob)

It picks up after all of it.

I don't have to buy bags for it.

It's the best vac I've ever had.

My only complaint is that it's heavy.

Shark Rotator Professional is what we have - absolutely LOVE IT!!!  Our new carpet is very thick and plush, and we had problems with our vacuum cleaner  sucking the carpet in and bogging way down.  We called where we got the carpet and they said try a Dyson or the Shark.  Chose the Shark and have been extremely pleased.

I own a bunch of Dyson's (as in 3 or 4).  I love them.  They work like they are suppose to.  I have one for downstairs and one for upstairs and one that is more of a portable one for when I just want to grab it and pick up some stuff quick and a small portable one that I never really liked much.  Oh...and a canister one.  Forgot about that one.  I HATE to vacuum so I wanted a vacuum that picked it all up on the first run.  Dyson's do that.  They are VERY expensive though.  I've read that Sears has a Kenmore Wind Tunnel or something that is supposed to be as good for a lot less money.  Do your research and buy the best your budget will allow.

I've had a Rainbow for 20 years and love it.  I feel the it does an excellent job of cleaning so it's worth the extra work of the water pan, IMHO.  Now that I'm over 50 it's not quite as easy to lug around as it used to be.

I keep a cheap Hoover Tempo handy for quick vacuums, but we have a dog in the house and it always smells like dog after I've vacuumed with the Hoover.  The Rainbow always smells fresh.  I don't think I've spent over $50 in repairs even though it's 20 years old. 

I have a Dyson animal but it is heavy and the hose is hard to use.  I use a Meile canister in the longarm room.   It requires bags but that is just fine with me.  It is lightweight and easy to push around.  My mother swears by the Shark.  

I have a Carpet-Pro. I love it. It is a bright yellow one with great pick up. I have long hair, below my shoulders and so does my daughter so when I vaccum the hair gets wrapped around the beater along with sewing threads with most vaccums....well I have never had to cut away the hair or threads in 5 years, it just gets sucked up in to the bag. The vaccum almost pulls itself along the carpet. The only downside is that you can't adjust the height.

I don't know the Dyson vacs but I own a vac I bought at Costco that is an upright and the canister also comes out so perhaps you can both have a vacuum you like! I am sure most companies have vacs like it. I will have to check out the Dysons.

i have the big yellow Carpet Pro CPU-2 also and even though it's big it's my go-to vacuum.  It's a PROfessional vacuum and with all the fibers and threads and batting stuff floating and landing on my floors, this is what I need.  I got the extra long hose so I can poke around furniture/machines/boxes, etc., that find their way to my place.  

Dyson!  They are expensive but worth it.  I thought I was an excellent housekeeper until I saw the canister full of crap.  I just steam cleanedd the carpet and used it and wow it pulled so much junk out of the carpet.  I got the Dyson Animal it's purple in color.

Archived