Old dog-new tricks

When dealing with a pieced backer where you have no option but to load it with seams running vertically, the result is usually bulky seam build-up on the rollers which cause sagging at the sides.

I generally deal with this by tucking a piece of batting or a cloth up under the front roller next to the backer to raise the backer and level it for quilting. The batting falls out when I advance and I retrieve it and tuck it under again after I advance.

I had a bad one today--a backer with a 12" pieced strip offset slightly in an 80" wide backer--seams running vertically. Both side of the seams were sagging--the wider side in extreme.

Lightbulb!! I took a strip of batting the same width as each saggy side from seam to edge and advanced until about two-thirds of the way to the bottom. I put the strip of batting in place around the roller on the backer side and I rolled it up in the top as I advanced back to start quilting. The piece was about four inches wide and when rolled into the top, leveled the sides perfectly. When I quilted and reached the batting strips, they fell out and one side was OK to quilt. The other still needed bolstering so I tucked in the batting strip with each advance.

I hope this made sense. It's funny how you do the same thing for years and then discover an easier way. You learn something new all the time! :P

The quilt's off the frame, but here's a shortened explanation. If a side is sagging because of a vertical seam, cut a four inch wide strip of batting as long as the "sag section". Roll the backer onto the take-up roller until you are about 2/3 of the way to the bottom. Wrap the batting strip around the front roller and tuck in the end underneath where the backer rolls onto itself. Advance the quilt back to the top. The added bulk of that one layer of batting will level out the backer. This is done before the batting and top are loaded. :)

I've often wondered what was the most balanced way to do this was - not only for a wonky backer but for those of us with a bit uneven leaders that are in need of replacement but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet ^_^  My MIL used to weave on a big loom, and I'd see socks, nylons, pot holders, hand towels ..... whatever was handy .... tucked under many warp strings if she had it warped unevenly. The finished rug always was beautiful, so I guess the technique may not be pretty but the end results are, here in quilting too! Thanks, Linda!

This type of idea also works great for those backings that are way bigger than the batting and quilt top. It never fails that I get  those floppy sides when advancing the quilt in that scenario. I keep lots of strips of batting on hand in different sizes for this purpose. I just lay the appropriate size strip of batting down the two sides of the quilt, to cover where there is no batting but there is backing fabric, and roll/advance as usual. It really helps to keep everything taut and straight when advancing.

• 7 months later...

Archived