hand pieced blocks finished and brought to life.

IBQLTN2

This is a quilt that came to my friend in a box as hand pieced blocks from a 96 year old lady who had died.  She was in a nursing home and quilted almost to the very end.  My friend and her husband used to go and visit with her often and bring her things she needed to work on a quilt.  When she passed away her family contacted them and and gave them alot of her sewing and quilting stuff that they needed to get rid of.  It seems no one was much interested in going through it or wanted anything.  So my friend put the star blocks together with the alternating background,  I assume it was altogether because the backgrounds match.  Anyway he assembled it and gave it to  me to quilt.   Now they are going to contact one of the nieces they had met and see if she would like the quilt. 

Anyway, I was hesitant to use an all over design, but did anyway and I really like how it came out. 

post-3262-0-94700000-1363098724_thumb.jpg

Wow!  what a wonderful quilt!  At 96 she sure still had quite a good mind and good skills!  I'll bet she is smiling down from heaven now as we all enjoy seeing her work!  That family is going to be blown away at the jewel they just so easily tossed away!  Your quilting gives so much perfect texture!!!!  I too love how it came out!  Be sure to let us know what they say about it once they see!  Also, are you going to bind it?

Jeanne, you did a great job quilting the top, the quilting pattern looks perfect on it. Best of all, I love the heart of service from your friend & her husband towards the elderly and your contribution towards the completed quilt is the perfect wrapper to this treasure.

Thanks all of you for the nice compliments,  I gave the quilt back to the couple who brought it to me and he will bind it and we discussed adding an embroidered label to  tell the story of where the quilt came from who had pieced it etc.  I donated my quilting services as did my friend as a tribute to the wonderful quilter.  I had never met her but had heard about all the visits etc.  They think that the blocks were made sometime ago, as they had never seen them before and didnt think that she did hand piecing for awhile as she had arthritis in her hands and could not hold a needle and thread, but she sure could work that sewing and embroidery machine quite well.  My friends husband is the one who finished  the top and will do the binding as my friend now has Alzheimers and can no longer do it.  It is very sad how this disease robs people of their personalities and talents and to watch them slip away is heartbreaking. 

beautiful quilt, beautiful quilting!  It's stories like this that restore my faith in humanity!  You, for donating your quilting services when you had not even met this lady, and your friends for visiting and supporting her when she still wanted to quilt.  I almost wish your friends would keep that lovely quilt for themselves, I think they deserve to have it!  How sweet of them to want to give it back to the family! 

What a treasure for sure and a star in your crown. I hope that when they see it they will see all the love that was stitched and quilted in the beautiful quilt. The spiral square is perfect!!!!!

thanks for sharing the quilt and story with us!

Jeanne, what a heartwarming story! Bless you for donating your quilting time for this really special quilt. I agree with the others, love the texture. Thanks for sharing with us. It reaffirms how many special people are/were in our quilting world. I need a Kleenex after reading your story.

What a treasure! The chain of events that finished with this wonderful quilt is heartwarming. When people look at a pile of blocks they don't see the potential unless they are quilters. Everyone involved did exactly what was needed to be done--I'm applauding your generosity and kindness. The quilt is beautiful!

Thanks everyone,

I also love to read about good stories so was thankful to be able to share my own.  It is just what we love to do quilt and give back to those that have come before us.  I know that she has done many quilts for her family over the years and I believe the niece they are trying to get in touch with has done some quilting herself.  So it will be a nice keepsake for her. 

Archived