Hi, I've just received my new Freedom. In fact it is still in boxes, waiting for husband to finish the room where it will be housed. So in the mean time I'm looking at videos, reading books and starting to buy supplies. I purchased some samples from Superior Threads and really do like those. What other thread suppliers are out there that you like? Also, could you give me some suppliers for the extra-wide fabric backings? I should mention that at the moment I'm only quilting for myself and not officially as a business. But saying that, I have two quilts tops that I have made for other people who are paying me, so I guess I'm unofficially in business.

I really the topics on this forum.

JB

I just posted a thread a few weeks ago about metro embroidery thread.  It's inexpensive and goes on sale all the time...I believe it's $2.75 for a 5000m spool.  I learned about it from the great people here on this forum!  Metro sells two kinds of embroidery thread, one called metro and one called sigma.  I bought sigma because it is supposed to withstand higher speed sewing.  I was really happy with it and I know a lot of people here like Metro too.

www.metroem.com 

I love Superior but it is definitely price and I reserve it for special projects.  I also like connecting threads thread a lot...www.connectingthreads.com

To buy wholesale most places require a tax id, but metro sells to the public so they'd be a great resource for you if you're just quilting a handful of quilts throughout the year for a few bucks.  :)

Good luck!

Filtec's regular threads are good too, all the major players are very competitive in styles of thread. Fil-tec's website is http://www.bobbincentral.com/. The magna-glide bobbins are wonderful and the bottom lines from Superior are too. Get a few bobbin cases for a variety of bobbins and you will always have nicely tuned bobbin tension for each thread type. Bobbin cases are cheap! Enjoy your new baby! Congratulations.

Also try SewBatik for wide batik backing.

http://www.sewbatik.com/

I'd suggest you try several different brands and types of thread before going whole hog. I bought a TON of Signature when I first started quilting because the gal I bought my first longarm from loved it. I hated it and ended up selling it later. I think thread is such a personal preference. Also, as you get more experienced you'll be more confident running some of the more finicky threads. My favorites are Glide, So Fine and King Tut. Have fun!

Thread:  I love Superior's So Fine the best, then FilTec's Glide, then Metro.  With the SoFine, I usually wind my own bobbins on the turbo winder, although I also like the pre-wound bobbins from FilTec, called Magna Soft.  (I e-mailed Chris South, from FilTec, and he suggested I try the combination of SoFine with the Magna Soft bobbins.  I explained to him that I own at least 100 cones of SoFine, so he understood why I was mixing brands.)  When I use Glide thread on top, I use Magna Glide bobbins - perfection.  I also use Magna Glide bobbins with Metro thread.  If I can't use Magna Glide bobbins with the Metro, due to color choices, I use SoFine in the bobbins with it.  I also have numerous bobbin cases, so I can switch cases frequently, as needed.  I also test all of my bobbins on the Towa gauge.  What a help it has been!

Wide backs:  I use Christian Lane, Sew Batik, and Backside Fabrics.