Caution Quilters!

A friend of mine was sewing this week and put a pin in her mouth (long one with the yellow top).  She has a cold and started to cough.  When she sucked in air, she swallowed the pin!  She drove herself to the ER and several hours later they were able to get it out.  It had already made its way into her intestines before they fished it out!  Yikes!  Be careful out there! :huh:

A friend of mine yelled at me recently for having a pin in my mouth (same kind yellow flower pin).  I told her I do it all the time.  Her husband had been helping her with a project at school (she is a retired teacher) one time and swallowed the pin.  She spent the rest of the day at the hospital with him.  Needless to say his help really didn't help.  LOL  So, I guess it could happen but I am still guiltly of doing it.

Thanks for the reminder! I have a magnetic wrist band which I need to find and start using--I pin baste a lot and always seem to have pins in my mouth! Yikes!

Another warning--a customer picked up a quilt last week and I asked her if she had pieced anything lately. She showed me her right forefinger (she's left handed) which she had shaved with her rotary cutter while distracted talking to a friend. Not to get too graphic, but her finger is shorter, narrower, and has a nice scar made by the seven stitches she got at the emergency room. She hadn't been able to do much--including sewing--for three months. But the nail is intact and the feeling is coming back. Makes you cringe to think about it!  :blink:

While we're on the topic of safety measures, get a rotary cutter that AUTOMATICALLY closes, and wear shoes or slippers when cutting.  A friend of mine dropped her rotary cutter on her foot (no auto close, no shoes) and it cut through two tendons on her toes.

My DIL did this just 3 days before their wedding.  She was making some crafty thing for the wedding, had a pin in her mouth when my son, the comedian, picked up a paper punch.  He put it to his mouth and pretended to punch a hole in his tongue!  :P When he winced in pain, she gasped and swallowed the pin!  A trip to ER, they sent her to the "big city" hosp., (nearly two hours away)  and after waiting in ER for hours, the pin had migrated to where it was impossible to retrieve it.  Was a rather nerve-wracking few days as doctors suggested she may need surgery.  She passed the pin the night before the wedding.  So the joke at the wedding was that she and my son were on "pins and needles" for the past several days.  Yes, my son felt just awful... little bugger.... ;)  :rolleyes:   

I worked at a fabric store 35 years ago and one of the sales clerk did that. It was Halloween, she had a pin in her mouth and someone else came up behind her. Scared her with a loud "Boo"...she inhaled and it was swallowed in an instant. It pasted with no problems.

Archived